Sunroof Headlining

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
spudisdabest
Getting There!

Sunroof Headlining

Post by spudisdabest »

has anybody retrimmed one of these? really want a black roof lining but havent seen anybody that has done it to one with a sunroof!

Thanks Adam
Silver Member

Re: Sunroof Headlining

Post by 5509433 »

I want to know the same thing. Ive learnt all what i need and how to do it.

How ever, the control panel for the sunroof doesn't come in black. and spraying it will look awful.

another thing that doesn't come in black is the sunroof cover slide handle.

REALLY annoying.
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

ahhh the 6n2 sunroof... both a gift and a curse... dont think i have ever used mine :?
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

great in the summer! :P

I recon if i do retrim mine ill have to wait till the summer, as so i dont rush it because its so freekin cold lol
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Guys can anyone get a clean picture of what the sunroof looks like? Maybe I could work something out
fackers89
New

Post by fackers89 »

ive looked into this so much... when you take the headlining out you can get the sunroof tray thing out too... basically the plastics youd have to spray and the sunroof area all youd need to do it stitch up a square wall about 1/2" for the sunroof bit cos the stretch of the fabric wont reach around the whole way...
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

Stitch?

Surly, if the sunroof handle is removable, take it off, and spray adhesive the new material onto the sliding cover, put the handle back on, reinstall every thing and your done.

The thing im not keen on, is the "painting" i have a hunch it will look tacky.

I did have an idea tho.

The sunroof control panel. Vinyl (suede) cover that and spray the knob (as so as little paint as possible).

I thought it could look good in white (it being in the centre of the car at the front) and the rest in black.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

It shouldn't look too bad sprayed. However if I was in that position I'd get a shop to do it, saves wasting money on paint for an average job! You pay a bit more and now it's done right that way.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

I'm not sure how you would go about spraying the controls for the sunroof, but the liner can definatly be retrimmed as I dropped one on a GTi with a sunroof the other week. Satin finish on the controls would look good I'd say?
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

Depends on the cost. I am keen on the idea with suede on the panel (if it's works). Where would i get the plastics sprayed in Essex? A body shop?

Things to get sprayed, (if covering the control panel won't work) wuld be the panel, crappy little sunvisor no one uses, control knobs, slide cover handle, and light surround, as it fits in on the cotrol panel, I'm not sure the
lupo one wuld fit.
spudisdabest
Getting There!

Post by spudisdabest »

cheers for the discussion guys...allows me to feel like there are others in my boat! i will get some pictures up tommorow of the standard headlining with some close ups. if somebody could write a little tutorial on how to remove the damn thing with my pictures it would be muchly appreciateoooed! many thanks, Adam
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Aye get the pics up so I can have a look mate.
spudisdabest
Getting There!

Post by spudisdabest »

i think it all seems straight forward from the help youve given me in your thread. the only thing thats bogling me now is the plastic bit between the curtosy light and the knob for the leccy sunroof