ESP - Retrofit

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
PD
Silver Member

ESP - Retrofit

Post by PD »

It's been a while since I last made an appearance here, I've recently done away with my MK5 1.4 16v and got myself a MK5 GTi for a bit of fun.

The GTi is a bit of a project and I've got loads lined up for it.

Any way there are a couple of electrical modifications that are going to be implemented. First, cruise control, doesn't look too bad to install. The other I've been looking at is ESP.

From what I've read on some German Polo club forums, the cars came factory fitted with ESP as standard and had a little switch next to your window heater switch to turn it off. Apparently in some countries this additional feature had to be disabled because of an additional tax VW would incur with it left in the car? So I believe it was added to the optional extras list in this country.

Has any one given this a go? or does any one already have it on their polo? would be interesting to find out. From the reading I've done it seems to almost suggest it should be as easy as installing the switch and enabling it in Vag-Com.

My next step is to login to the ABS module and see if it it can be enabled.

Thought I might as well post here first before wasting my time messing about, plus it's a change to reintroduce myself to the forum!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: ESP - Retrofit

Post by alexperkins »

In the UK, the ESP was completely removed, down to the point where you need new hubs and a new ABS pump for it to be added, plus a bunch of new senders and similar to control each individual wheel.

Simply put, it cant be added without considerable, highly expensive, and pretty much impossible work due to the amount of loom wiring needed.

Sorry :(
PD
Silver Member

Re: ESP - Retrofit

Post by PD »

Damn, I was hoping that because it was on the optional extras list that VW would make it easy for themselves to reinstate it, like disable it in the ECU, remove the button, obviously VW are not as smart as me for time saving :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex.