Gti lower honeycomb grills

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
chris meardon
Silver Member

Gti lower honeycomb grills

Post by chris meardon »

I know this has been asked 100 times before BUT, i was given a link here not so long ago to a company that sold them, pretty sure it wasnt a UK site.

Could someone give that link again please? I need to staple it to my head so I dont forget it.
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Re: Gti lower honeycomb grills

Post by JoshGTI »

It is

www.vaglink.com, I

f its for a GTI make sure you order the GTI specific ones as they have the open honeycombe on the left side for cooling.

Ive just recieved mine today from them. :)
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Thanks mate!

How much did you end up paying including postage in pounds?

theyre on offer at the moment which is good.

Thanks i spotted that one, doesnt look like the holes are enough really.
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Post by JoshGTI »

I think i ended up paying like £145 or something because i chose the EMS postage which means you can track it. I dont think the ones that are on offer are the ones you want there are other ones with the larger intake hole. Look through the Polo section and you will see them.

If your not prepared to pay that for them you could have a look on ebay but to behonest they are like hens teeth! so hard to find in the UK! i looked around for a couple of months but in the end i just had to bite the bullet!

Hope you get something

Cheers

Josh
V-MaN668
Getting There!

Post by V-MaN668 »

Hey chris meardon,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-POLO-9N3-GTI-L ... 27b39f1695

Here's a link from eBay UK, they seem to have holes on the fog sections on both side, have a look mate. Hope this helps mate.

V-MaN
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Vman you are a life saver!! I have just ordered these. bargin price, £65 inc delivery.

Hope they fit!

Josh thanks for your help mate!!
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

Unfortuntely they aren't they GTi ones, but shouldn't be a problem as my mate also has these one's on his GTi. If you are a little worried though, a little DIY could do the trick, the plastic isn't too think so you can cut holes yourself.
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

I would have tought that the little holes in each grill would be enough? I am getting a Fmic soon I hope so shouldn't be an issue
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Post by JoshGTI »

Well the standard Intercooler is up inside the left wing so on your standard grille you will notice there is a large open area on the left, so the manufacturers of the honey combe grilles have just made the open area the same size as the factory grilles.

The ones you have bought has only a few open holes but it should run ok and if your going for a FMIC you wont have an issue. Good to hear you got got something :)
noone025
Bronze Member

Post by noone025 »

If you bought the version with minimal cutouts in the honeycomb, you really need to open it up.

I used a dremmel to remove some of the plastic to open it up, this is the only inlet for the stock SMIC to get ventialation.

I'd also recomend doing the Pikey mod (ventilation grill in the wheel arch) to work with the SMIC.
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

You rcomments have made me a little nervous. I think i will wait until i get the fron mount before fitting them, i dont really want to be cutting bits out of them after shipping them fron china, if i broke it I would be very annoyed.
noone025
Bronze Member

Post by noone025 »

Vag-link used to sell 2 versions, the more expensive was opened up.

That will do the trick.
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Post by JoshGTI »

chris meardon wrote:You rcomments have made me a little nervous. I think i will wait until i get the fron mount before fitting them, i dont really want to be cutting bits out of them after shipping them fron china, if i broke it I would be very annoyed.

I wouldnt be to worried about it chris it will Run fine without the bigger hole. Just to boost it as much until you get your FMIC

I do agree with not cutting holes in them tho. If you broke it and had to order another set then you would almost have been just as well ordering the ones with the hole in the first place lol.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

chris meardon wrote:You rcomments have made me a little nervous. I think i will wait until i get the fron mount before fitting them, i dont really want to be cutting bits out of them after shipping them fron china, if i broke it I would be very annoyed.
Hi Chris,

I have these ones and ran with my side mount intercooler for a good few months with no problems.

If the whole was bigger you would get better cooling but to be honest the side mount has a surround that covers all the space up to the bumper so the air going through the few holes will still cool it just not as good as it could.

As per this pic (you will see the brown connector sitting on it)

Fit them on as they are makes the Polo look much better 8)

And secondly once the front mount is fitted if you had the ones for the GTI you would be left with a big hole on the drivers side and smal hole on the passengers so looks odd. May be its just me but i wanted the front to look even :-)

Like this
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Thanks for the info mate, are they easy to fit and swap over fogs etc? I like eveness too!

I dont have to take bumper off or anything do i? then the next step is blue motion front splitter and my front end is done!