**Power Steering acting a bit funny**

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
POLOZ
Gold Member

**Power Steering acting a bit funny**

Post by POLOZ »

Guys another question, recently about a month ago my GTI had front wheel alignment done and after which I took it on my Holiday to Devon.
Now while I was there and even now I noticed while after couple circles/turns during hard steering (stationary steering), the system becomes hard
as if the pump has cut out or going to?!?!?

It only became noticable after the alignment was done!

Can this be caused due to the following?

- Possible broken spring?
- Front shocks have gone?
- Top mounts?
- Wishbone Bushes or a Bush?
- Leading to a possible P/S failure in the future?

Am not sure if this is normal? It is only very noticable on hard steering and not as much possible on soft steering.

Also after I came back from my holiday, I checked and toped up my P/S fuild.

Thanks
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: **Power Steering acting a bit funny**

Post by david burton »

Sounds like your power steering belt is a bit loose, therefore slipping - and when the pump isn't being driven it would go hard. None of your points would cause this to happen except that the alignment may have put more tyre in contact with the road so therefore it's loading the power steering more (correctly).

You shouldn't steer when the car is stationary because it puts unnecessary load on the pump - as you're finding out.
tomtom-03
New

Post by tomtom-03 »

The pump is a remote electrical pump not belt driven, or am i getting the wrong end of the stick,

I just had mine replaced due to it failing, not cheap, the pump is near the passengers side inner wing under the battery, may just be a loose connection, u never know!

Tom
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

Not sure on that - thought the 9N and 9N3 were "normal" power steering.....
tomtom-03
New

Post by tomtom-03 »

its an electrical pump, fuse 3 in the main fuse box on top of the battery and the relay for it is fused on number 7 in the main fuseboard in the dash.

Wouldnt have thought it will be a fuse coz obvs it wouldnt work at all :S

strange!
POLOZ
Gold Member

Post by POLOZ »

Cheers guys for the feedback.

@David, I avoid dry/stationary steering but while parking I always tend to do it. I noticed it more today while I was parked on a slope and went to
turn the wheel and it felt as if the pump was going on/off like hard steer and then soft (difficult to explain lol).

Funny thing is that all this started after the alignment but again dont think it would have caused :?

Also say if I am parked, and if I go on to do a full cycle turn the first initial turns are smooth but then it starts to get hard almost diffcult to turn :oops:

Also I do get the occational knock from the passenger side think its time for some cupra bushes :P