Lowering a 9n3 on 17" Alloys.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
danmorgan
Getting There!

Lowering a 9n3 on 17" Alloys.

Post by danmorgan »

I have a query.
I don't want to be spending too much on lowering the car and I don't want it to end up looking a pile of poo. Also I don't want it to be too lowered and my alloys to rub on the arches.
Questions.
What is the cheapest way to lower my 9n3? (Links to eBay items would be useful)
How low can my 9n3 go? (I dont mind a little bit of rub but I want it too look good.)
Any picture that you may have would be very helpful!

(Also have my new Dayline headlights in the post :D)

Thanks.
Dan.
b1ondie86
Getting There!

Re: Lowering a 9n3 on 17" Alloys.

Post by b1ondie86 »

Lol, I am also very interested in this thread. Not to hijack it or anything, but I am wanting to lower my polo eventually - but not by too much. I was thinking more along the lines of 10-15mm and I have 15" alloys. I am also wondering what is the best way of lowering. I think I am looking for something halfway between aesthetics and performance - somewhere totally in the middle. Lovely rims by the way dan - would like to see them headlights on. :)
GdaviesG
New

Post by GdaviesG »

i also have the same problem... :(
danmorgan
Getting There!

Post by danmorgan »

Someone must have a picture on this website!
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

Coilovers are always your best route as they are adjustable to what you need and your own taste

lowering cars cheap always causes problems, buy cheap buy twice and it often can damage other parts of the car (un nessersary stress on moving parts of chassis, the angle the drive shafts are at change from what they are designed to be at)

in my opinion 30mm is plenty to improve the look without putting huge ammount of pressure under the rest of the car.

I think its H&R springs that most people use, look those up.
zedzo
Gold Member

Post by zedzo »

if your keeping your car for a long time, id invest in a decent set of coilovers. if not a cheap set off ebay would do the trick, the reason you would buy coilovers over standard lowering springs is because you can set the hight as you like. also the polo has no real inner arch so rubbing doesnt really exist unless you have really wide wheels.
i wouldnt see the point in lowering less then 30mm as you cant really tell its lowered. if you want to go 10 15 mm lower then buy some 2nd hand polo gti or sport type suspension. as the gti and sports come lowered around 10mm.
springs would cost anywhere from 80 - 120 and coilovers would cost around 160 upwards.
danmorgan
Getting There!

Post by danmorgan »

Is it possible to put some eBay links onto this page?
I would like to take a look at them.
Thanks
Dan.
BennoGTi
Silver Member

Post by BennoGTi »

These are the spring kits i'm looking at for mine, think im going for the H&R ones as many people have told me on here that its what they use

H&R 35mm lowering Springs

Eibach Pro-Kit 40mm Lowering Springs

eBay Coilovers:

Hot Tuning Polo 9N Coilovers
b1ondie86
Getting There!

Post by b1ondie86 »

Looking at this, I think I would rather save up and get the coilovers - I'm guessing they are better for your car, last longer and have that added advantage, like you say, of being able to adjust how low you want. I can see myself buying a set of springs then thinking "oh, I wanna go lower" or "that's wayyy too low"! Then having to buy something else.