Anyone good with locks? Door won't lock

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Anyone good with locks? Door won't lock

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hey guys,

Been a while since Ive been on here seeking advice!

My brothers door lock mechanism was playing up in the cold weather, and in turn the door mech wouldn't latch. So I sourced a replacement one.

Since getting the new one, I've also managed to fix the old one, so I have two working mechanisms. No problem, just put the new one in.

works fine except the door will now not lock, the lever for the door pin doesn't move. It's the same situation on the old lock, it works fine except it won't lock.

So I have two mechs where they both won't lock, all the other doors lock fine, and the lock barrel works as it's activating the lock on all doors.

Chances are both mechanisms haven't just broken in the locking department, something's not right.

Anyone good with door mechs? I can get pictures up no problem.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Anyone good with locks? Door won't lock

Post by alexperkins »

gets some pics up tim ;) ill take a look
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Got it!

I took it apart three times before I worked it out.

The piston for the lock (the part powered by air) needs to latch onto a catch for the lock, I was missing this connection!
Timox
New

Post by Timox »

This is probably not completely related, but I had problem with my 99Polo locks in cold weather, the problem was that when the door was opened it would it would stay in the open position not allowing the door to be closed. It turned out to be the grease in the lock had a too high viscosity and changing it solved the problem
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Timox wrote:This is probably not completely related, but I had problem with my 99Polo locks in cold weather, the problem was that when the door was opened it would it would stay in the open position not allowing the door to be closed. It turned out to be the grease in the lock had a too high viscosity and changing it solved the problem
That was the original problem. Cleaned the old one up and it's working fine now!

Luckily the replacement part has a few plastic tabs missing, rendering it useless so I can return it for a refund.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Happy days!