Screenwash - ready to use v concentrate

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
bstardchild

Screenwash - ready to use v concentrate

Post by bstardchild »

Just thought this might reveal some diffent brands that perform or don't as the case may be

In winter I always try to use the concentrated stuff and vary dilution according to the conditions (1 part SW to 3 parts water is supposed to be good to -8 deg C and it's been fine during the recent cold snap) I keep the cans behind my wheelie bin and so far despite nightime temps dropping down to -12 deg c they have remained unfrozen in either neat or diluted to recomended concentrations.

When I bought a case (4 x 5L it worked out at £1.50 per can)

I do add a good squirt of washing up liquid now to reduce the smear effect.

100 mile drive last night (at -5 deg according to the car) from seeing my brothers family and I had no issues with frozen washers BTW headlight washers make a pretty pattern in frozen screenwash - soon as we stopped it started melting and running of the wings so snapped this picture pronto.

Incidently this stuff (supermarket ready to use was utter rubbish) but I had to get something from a garage at the end of a 500 mile round trip as their water pipe was frozen solid - it was nearly twice the price I pay for concentrate and effectively was no better that water :shock:

note the rating - 2 deg C

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Screenwash - ready to use v concentrate

Post by alexperkins »

What is the point in antifreeze'd washer fluid when it only protects to -2!!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

alexperkins wrote:What is the point in antifreeze'd washer fluid when it only protects to -2!!
exactly - it was £2.99 as well so 60p per litre

My normal stuff at 1:3 dilution works out at 5L can = 20L of solution and 9 pence per L and it works down to - 8 deg C at that rating (I actually think it performed better than it's rating cos it's be bloody cold recently and it's been fine)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Concentrate is the way forward. Ive been running VW stuff in the GTI at about 4:1 and it was -8 at the workshop earlier and it was still liquid - i was impressed lol!

Genesis has similar to what you use in - seems to be working nicely
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

alexperkins wrote:Concentrate is the way forward. Ive been running VW stuff in the GTI at about 4:1 and it was -8 at the workshop earlier and it was still liquid - i was impressed lol!

Genesis has similar to what you use in - seems to be working nicely
Only thing I would say is GTi's have a serious screen wash habit although I think mine has a small fault as the headlights get a wash everytime you use the screen wash wipe and I'm pretty sure it used to do a one in three on the lights :?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It happens when the headlights are on no matter what - they all do it. Unfortunately its not one in three :( It irritates me so much i turn off my headlights briefly if I have to wash the windscreen at night as it makes such a mess!
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

alexperkins wrote:It happens when the headlights are on no matter what - they all do it. Unfortunately its not one in three :( It irritates me so much i turn off my headlights briefly if I have to wash the windscreen at night as it makes such a mess!
Haha i do that too.Hate how much overspray there is.
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by funlovincriminal »

I'm gonna be getting some good stuff next week, LIDL have a good deal, 5l for £4.99, will sell out quick mind.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _17094.htm

Available from 13.01.2011 (Tuesday)

readymix stuff failed on me this year

Screenwash : Water undiluted - Frost protection to approx. -60°C
Screenwash : Water 1 : 1 - Frost protection to approx. -20°C
Screenwash : Water 1 : 2 - Frost protection to approx. -10°C

Can be used in temperatures as low as -60°C
Suitable for fan jet nozzles
Contains Bitrex® with extremely bitter taste substances, for increased protection against confusion with edible goods and accidental swallowing
5L
10p/100ml