GTI Spoiler

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Silver Member

GTI Spoiler

Post by 5509433 »

Hi,

Regarding spoilers, what is to happen with the 3rd brake light? If the spoiler comes with one, what do you do about the factory installed light?
And if it does not come with one, surely the spoiler would cover it?

My car is a 1.4 8V Match.

Would I be able to simply get one from a breakers? Or would i have to buy a new one?
I've looked on eBay, but can only find 3rd party pieces of rubbish.

Thanks

Lewis
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Re: GTI Spoiler

Post by nigelelliott394 »

I think to be honest, to properly fit the GTI spoiler you need a GTI tailgate to match. The standard tailgate doesn't have the holes to bolt the spoiler to and therefore requires lining up exactly and drilling your tailgate.

The GTI tailgate will allow you to have the spoiler fitted perfectly and no issues with the 3rd brake light.
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

OK,
If I want to buy one, how can I tell if it is a GTI tailgate?
Purely from the holes or spoiler attached?

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Fitting a GTI spoiler requires some very very accurate drilling - I had to fit Greg's this summer and it was really fiddly to get the holes right first time. Granted I did measure it against a GTI tailgate, so the holes were easy to line up, but without that it wouldve been almost impossible
nick6n2
Getting There!

Post by nick6n2 »

with the 3rd brake light lewis, what you simply do is pop the standard one out your boot and disconnect the wiring plug and that is the exact same plug for the 3rd brake light on the gti spoiler then the spoiler covers the hole of the standard brake light but then it's just aligning it up to drill the two bolt holes.

nick
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

Oh, cool. Thanks.

I dont recon I'll be drilling my car any time soon. lol.

Thanks for the advice.

Lewis
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

what? you dont need to drill any holes!!! mine fitted fine on my NON GTi boot lid, just make sure the spoiler your fitting has all the brackets, but i would recommend using some tiger seal on it really, as the seal on the spoiler isnt best!
Polo*
Getting There!

Post by Polo* »

i just bought one off ebay today as it goes. £45. so i dont need to drill? or is there 2 kinds of fittings? cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Theres two types. GTI ones and non GTI ones

GTI ones have two threaded rods (one each side) that are bolted through holes in the GTI tailgate.
Polo*
Getting There!

Post by Polo* »

mines most likely the gti fit one as its off a gti. i dont have any probs with the drilling. is there a rough guide anywhere? or any tips
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I measured Gregs against another GTI tailgate with the spoiler removed to get the holes in the right place

If you dont get the holes in the right place and angle almost perfectly, it wont line up properly and it will sit funny

You may also need to buy the two special nuts from VW which hold the threaded parts in if you havent got those supplied.
f6had
Bronze Member

Post by f6had »

I recently added a GTI spoiler to my wife's 6N2..

And I gotta agree with Alex, when I looked into it, if you want the perfect factory look - you need to source a proper GTI tailgate.

I got extremely lucky and found a complete GTI tailgate in satin silver (LB7Z) and got it a damn good price too. Most GTI's are Reflex silver so I did consider myself lucky!!

BEFORE

AFTER

Polo*
Getting There!

Post by Polo* »

thanks for the info guys. the spoiler definitely finishes off the back of the polo beautifully. i should be spot on with the drilling being a metal fabricator. it does come with the bolts and nuts built into the spoiler.
i know the best way would be to get the tailgate. but its the painting etc thats gonna be a pain. iv'e yet to even spray the spoiler yet. as im working so much..

what black tape did you guys use thats seems watertight too?

would anyone suggest bonding this on without the screws? any info about. eg what to use

thanks. :D

update. spoiler just been primed. will give it a paint in a few days!