Insurance for a 17 Year old

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
karlak
New

Insurance for a 17 Year old

Post by karlak »

Hi,

Just got a Polo 1.2E 9n as a first car for my son, 3rd VAG car in the house now :) . He is on a provisional right now so will use the car to help learn and then as a first car when Solo.

Does anyone have any suggestions who to try for insurance for a 17 year old lad and any tips on reducing the premiums. I dont want to go down the route of me or the wife Insuring it and having him as a named - which I hear the insurance companies are getting wise to. Has anyone used or tried anyone else recently that may be worth a try ?

I have tried Quinn and Adrian Flux - with Quinn possibly being the best to go for at the moment, as they charge a reduced amount while he is still provisional. Still daylight Bl@@dy robbery though :( . They also give a discount for Passplus, when we get to that point. Oh and the highest quote so far? 3rd party Fire/theft on a 8 year old 1.2E .... £11,500 :shock:

Oh and what a nightmare trying to find a decent / honest 8 year old car for sensible(ish) money.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: Insurance for a 17 Year old

Post by blazeguarder »

Yep, it's seriously difficult. Thought Quinn went bankrupt?

It's worth taking the time to shop around and make sure that you're getting the best deal possible. Also, some places offer online deals that you can't get over the phone. Multicar policies seem good at face value, but if you do the sums it can be more expensive than if you do separate quotes. Obviously everyone has different circumstances but when I tried it with Admiral they wanted about £150 more than insuring two cars separately. Admiral, who I'm with, also do a 10 month policy where you get a year's NCD at the end of it. Sounds good but you pay more per month than if you take out a normal 12 month policy... The point I'm trying to get at is they all offer great sounding deals but be careful to make sure you're actually getting one.

Bear in mind that, whoever you go with, you'll probably have a compulsory excess to pay. Only tips I can think of is: low mileage, excess as high as possible. Also, try putting yourself as a named driver, sometimes brings it down a bit. Fit a good quality alarm. Keep the car in a garage. Also, try getting a web quote using a different name. I sound like an idiot when saying this, but when I changed my last name to Smith on the website my quote was £200 cheaper. Go figure... lol :roll:

Insurance is a complete con though, so I feel for you mate. I don't mind paying it on principle, but I resent the way that they increase your premium when you have a not-at-fault accident, or when they charge you to correct your details when they've got it wrong. It's 'almost' criminal...

Just a thought: if you've got 3 VAG's in the family, have you tried Volkswagen Insurance? Might be worth a punt...