Wireless Networks

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
aparker
New

Wireless Networks

Post by aparker »

This is a bit of a wird request, but does anyone know anything about wireless networks (peer-to-peer)? I want to set up a net work in a block of flats with one computer on the ground floor conected to broadband and at least three other computer on the first floor accessing it.
pukka
Getting There!

Post by pukka »

Shouldn't be a problem. You can pick up a new adsl modem with built in wireless (AP) and router for around £100. You'll also need wireless cards/adaptors on the other computers accessing the AP. Set-up is pretty striaght forward on a lot of the new hardware (with wizards etc guiding newbies).

Try: http://www.adslguide.org.uk for more info.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Don't be tempted by 802.11b (11mbps) because it's cheap - go for G band instead (54mbps). The few extra quid is worth it.

I got a 11b setup for that reason and it's only really useful for distributed broadband - it doesn't get near that supposed 11mbit/s for file transfers, more like 2 to 8 depending on the day of the week and what you send in which direction. Far quicker to burn a (4x) CDRW and walk between rooms! 11g however (54g?) should, naturally, be 5x that, and so comfortable for sending files between machines.

It looks complicated, but so long as you follow the instructions and are prepared to persevere a couple days it'll come together quite easily. Mine was little more than "plug together, follow the automated setup wizard, and slap the PC a few times"
metz

Post by metz »

As for adsl modem/router/firewall/wireless access point i would recomend the Netgear 834G. I have the standard 834 without wireless access and its fantastic.

Theyre about £!00 now too maybe less if you have a search on the net.

metz
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

I have a netgear too (813? erm, cant remember), its pretty solid apart from being sooo slowww :D

Oh and there's a little matter of it only opening TCP connections when you port-forward stuff through the firewall - UDP doesn't seem to work :( which isnt a problem in 99% of cases, but it means I can't use Direct Connect "properly"... (and the backup mode is a bit poor really). Maybe there's a firmware patch for it now, i'll have to check.
metz

Post by metz »

should be new firmware for it as i updated firmware for 834 about 3 months ago and it has worked flawlesly.
I have my pc on 24/7 and the 834 has not shown anyproblems so far :wink:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

already patched it once........ nothing happened ;)