How to use the SET button for tyre pressures

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jaykay07
New

How to use the SET button for tyre pressures

Post by jaykay07 »

Polo 1.2 turbo just bought but I have no English manual, I am still trying to locate one. In the meantime does anyone know how to operate this button. It is in the glove box, I know it is meant for the tyre pressures but how do I set it and how do I know it works properly.

I have let some pressure out of one of the tyres to see if I got a warning light on the clocks but nothing happened.
Thanks in advance
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Re: How to use the SET button for tyre pressures

Post by Grey_Polo »

If you have the tyre pressure warning the switch is not the blank one you show. It is located in the glove box next to the air bag on/off switch and has a tyre drawing on it.

You are supposed to press this switch after checking the air pressure or changing the wheels. This resets the calibration...
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

Yes press and hold the button in the glove box when your happy with your tyre pressure,s. It will beep when its set.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

The sensors work on location, they don't sense the actual pressure in the tyre, it's like a little electronic eye that says "hang on, that bit of the wheel assembly is lower than it should be, the tyre must be flat!"
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

I set mine when cold as it suggests in the handbook. Otherwise it will think It's Got a problem when the tyres cool down.
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Actually it works using the ABS sensor to measure rolling radius. When you press the "SET" button and get a beep, the system resets itself, and the ABS module monitors each wheel and "measures" the full rotation of each wheel using the ABS sensor.

When one tyre is flat or going down, the rolling radius of the tyre increases as the "flat spot" on the tyre gets bigger. Therefore the ABS sensors are monitoring the wheels, and suddently one says, "hang on, I was supposed to get a signal just then but it was xx milliseconds late, I must have a flat tyre", and it illuminates the symbol on the dash and within the highline screen (if fitted).

As it runs on rolling radius, it does take a fair amount for the sensors to detect a tyre going down, as it isn't actually measuring the pressure inside the tyre. It's not foolproof and it's a cheap system, but I'd rather have it than nothing. Escpecially with most cars running expensive alloys these days.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Norbreck21a wrote:Actually it works using the ABS sensor to measure rolling radius. When you press the "SET" button and get a beep, the system resets itself, and the ABS module monitors each wheel and "measures" the full rotation of each wheel using the ABS sensor.

When one tyre is flat or going down, the rolling radius of the tyre increases as the "flat spot" on the tyre gets bigger. Therefore the ABS sensors are monitoring the wheels, and suddently one says, "hang on, I was supposed to get a signal just then but it was xx milliseconds late, I must have a flat tyre", and it illuminates the symbol on the dash and within the highline screen (if fitted).

As it runs on rolling radius, it does take a fair amount for the sensors to detect a tyre going down, as it isn't actually measuring the pressure inside the tyre. It's not foolproof and it's a cheap system, but I'd rather have it than nothing. Escpecially with most cars running expensive alloys these days.

Thought it must have something along those lines, my explanation was like an idiot's version :)
auspolo
New

Post by auspolo »

Grey_Polo wrote:If you have the tyre pressure warning the switch is not the blank one you show. It is located in the glove box next to the air bag on/off switch and has a tyre drawing on it.

You are supposed to press this switch after checking the air pressure or changing the wheels. This resets the calibration...
i think you just answered my question - tyre warning light came on after i changed wheels on the weekend