new moda =D new member. lowering tips too

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
vdub liam
New

Post by vdub liam »

hi new to the forum! been on other polo sites but wanted to start a fresh! ive had 7 cars and all been v dub ;D cant go wrong, especially when the familys had nothing but vw's lol. just bought myself a vw polo moda 1.2 70 ps in siver! was long over due a new car as my mk4 polo was on its arse =/ picked it up yesterday and was soooo giddy =D absolutelly in love with it. bought some alloys from wheelbase which are being fitted on saturday, they are 17's. just wondering would i be safe and have a tiny bit of clearance from arches etc if i were to lower it 40mm?? or should i just go for 30mm? any help would be great :) and also is there any subtle, small mods i can do that dont cost too much plus which would look great? any help please

cheeers
duffman502
Bronze Member

Post by duffman502 »

You can go about 60 mm at the front and more on the back. You can go lower on the front depending on the wheel size i had 17" at 8 " wide and any lower and they rubbed on the coilovers. Hope this helps

Also welcome and enjoy the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Re: new moda =D new member. lowering tips too

Post by BonsaiTiger »

Welcome! sounds like its gonna be looking sweet, get some pics up this weekend hey.

I really like the HID bulbs and LED sidelights that whitegtipolo has on his GTi and he's done that for under 70 quid I think, thats one way of making it look a bit tastier for cheap, works really well on brand new cars as well coz the bulbs look like they would be standard IMO.

What about getting a genuine Polo rear spoiler or something? They're a bit over priced though right? Like 130 quid before painting and fitting?

Good luck!
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Hi and welcome to the forum
vdub liam
New

Post by vdub liam »

cheers duffman thanks for the tips. having a hard time finding just a set of springs really =/ thinkin of 40mm me thinks if anyone know places? also does anyone know if lowering your new polo voids your warranty?? bit gay a know but with me only just gettin the car i'd rather be careful! i love luperstars polo but dont think i can go that low again after the mk4 =/ yeh will get sum pics up soon =D yeh was thinkin the HID bulbs :) anyone know any decent set of bulbs or just ebay specials? yeh i was lookin at the rear spoiler but it is a dear do lol
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

One of the lads on here used these:

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/can-bus-sidelig ... w-led.html

for his sidelights which is important as they dont throw up a warning light. I'm fitting these next weekend after I get paid! He also has a thread (Red Gti 6R progress thread, i think its called) which says you should use H7 slim HIDs 8000k (or more or less if you want but thats up to you) and he just searched on eBay for them, theyre about 30 to 70 quid I think. Im tempted to do this but another lad on here has half talked me out of it with warnings about police getting wise to it and issuing fines and tickets etc - i just got 3 points last week for being on the f**ing phone so im wary about all that s**t at the mo!

take a look at the guys thread, its pretty detailed. He also has a progress thread of lowering his GTi onto coilovers.. looks awesome as well.

you can get proper HID conversion kits which are perfect but fully expensive!
duffman502
Bronze Member

Post by duffman502 »

vdub liam wrote:cheers duffman thanks for the tips. having a hard time finding just a set of springs really =/ thinkin of 40mm me thinks if anyone know places? also does anyone know if lowering your new polo voids your warranty?? bit gay a know but with me only just gettin the car i'd rather be careful! i love luperstars polo but dont think i can go that low again after the mk4 =/ yeh will get sum pics up soon =D yeh was thinkin the HID bulbs :) anyone know any decent set of bulbs or just ebay specials? yeh i was lookin at the rear spoiler but it is a dear do lol
If you just want springs try dpm performance they do some H&R springs which should lower it a treat and at a reasonable price.
As for the warranty i think it would void it on the shock absorbers but you only get a 6000 mile warranty on them anyway.
Hids direct kit was good in my last gti and there 64 quid last time i looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B1N9S
Bronze Member

Post by B1N9S »

DPMPerformance do a good selection of springs for the Polo 6R. ranging from £126 - £180 approx.

Get the best ones you can afford. I am trying to decide between H&R or Eibach for my 1.2 Tsi. Don't be tempted to go for any £69.99 jobbies on Ebay !!!

As for getting bigger wheels, its not the rim diameter size that matters, as the rolling radius should be the same with the correct tyres. VW have fitted 215/40's on my 17" Boavistas, so stick to that and you should be fine.

You need to be wary of the width of tyres, as that is what would cause a problem when lowering if they were too wide and the car was very low. A 60mm drop on standard shocks, I think would put them under a lot of stress on full compression. I personally wouldn't go any lower than 40mm on standards, any lower I would consider some coilovers, but they will be a lot stiffer and the ride on our "less than perfect" roads might not be too great !!! But I'm sure someone will come along soon and prove me wrong !!!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

You can go really low on standard 17s infact the wheels could do with spacers look lost springs will be fine
B1N9S
Bronze Member

Post by B1N9S »

I have just bought these H&R springs from Ebay.De

Search for these on Ebay.co.uk: 170611374617

125 euros delivered (£109), absolute bargain compared to £157 delivered from DPMPerformance.

25mm/40mm drop. These are also available in a 35mm/55mm drop. H&R are top quality, German made, TUV approved.

These are for the 1.2 models.