My Red Sixen Project

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
sixen
Bronze Member

My Red Sixen Project

Post by sixen »

Had this a couple of months now, came across this for low money due to a few cosmetic problems and a misfire. its a 999cc beast :D

the start point

as you can see it needs work!!!
the front bumper has been banged on a high curb, the near side wing looks like its got acne, and previous owner has touched up some scratches with what looks like sandtex, Im not kidding the pics don't do his work justice, its really laughable, Stevie wonder could have done better job with his feet and some crayons.

having chipped the guy on the price for the paint work, i also managed to get him down on price due to the misfire, but i kind of had an idea what it would be, after a quick look under the bonnet. so payed the guy, took the car down the road, popped the bonnet, re attached the breather pipe from the air box, pushed number 3 spark plug lead back on tight, WIN!! all running great.

now onto the modding :D

updates will follow quickly as Im copying my build thread from another site

time for some stightly less poope bits

strip down

bumper off

wing off

new (salvage) wing on

front end back together, vw badge was drying, had a fresh coat of satin black

back end time

buggers to get off the 6n rear, took 2 cups of coffee!!!

new (salvage) one on

result

******FREE TIP OF THE DAY!!!! copper grease the bumper torx bolts before you re-fit, will save them fossilizing and being irremovable in the future!!! *******
Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Re: My Red Sixen Project

Post by sixen »

The next weekend i got hold of a full polo 6n 16v interior. fitted the seats, got the dark carpet and door cards to fit when i get a spare few hours.

out with the old, thanks but no thanks

this is the GLX darkness

looks a bit silly at the mo with the grey dash. future plans are for a 6n2 dash though, allready ordered me some dials :D

and the next Monday the postman delivered me these :D

fitted them, fully working, sweet!!!

During the heavy wind a few weeks back, a big tin sheet blew off the roof in work, bounced of my mates 106 and jabbed its corner into my sill, then blowing back and slapping my rear quarter panel, but as i was planning a respray soon i wasn't all that gutted, would rather it didn't happen. But the upside, as compo from my boss i acquired a full 6n2 gti dash and interior, id already planned on buying it but due to this i got it for free :D :D

pics of the roof meets car damage

dug in here first....

then flipped around and slapped here, not the best pic.....

the part hording begins :D

full grey door cards, the gti ones were no good for my car as they had the cutouts for the lekky windows, mine has keep fit windows, plus i prefer these, all one colour look.

damn, there's loads of parts to a 6n2 dash!!! filled my car up :D

also got hold of 2 Haynes manuals to do my splice crossover tables :D

Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

so got these home :D

and this Saturday just gone i started the dash swap hit the diagrams and got my crossover/splice lists sorted.

gathered the bits.

Then got stuck into ripping the old dash out

easy peasy, loads of old parking tickets and permits behind it haha

then out with the heater box

in with the new one

then the dash

started the wiring, managed to get most of the headlight switch done and the hazard switch, easy this was, no soldering so far as it was just a matter of pin outing the terminals and fitting into the 6n2 plugs, in the correct order obviously :D

stripped out the bits i need from the looms, and here's the leftovers

soldering starts tomorrow, not much left. then onto the carpet, seats and door cards :S
cleaning up my gti steering wheel tonight, try and get the red stitching back to brightness
Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

cut out the old grey carpet

ran my sub and speaker cables, and swapped the handbrakes over

old

new

night shots of the dash

Got a few little bits done today, passenger airbag is now a 4 ohm resistor. fitted the Gti steering wheel, plugged in the control module, re-connected the battery with the ignition on, DONE!
Got the Gti dial cowl fitted, does look a bit more complete now :D

Managed to get hold of the cup holder and coin tray off ebay to replace the blanking panel that i originally had.

Misses was starting to moan about the interior in the house :lol: so i got started on fitting it. As my car had a bench rear seat as standard i needed the bracket from a different 6n model that had 60/40 split rears. Thank EmmaLex for the donation :D

Swapped the light grey parcel shelf towers (horrid) for dark grey ones.

Fitted the rear door cards and rear seats. need a damn good valet now.

Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

Finally had a couple of hours spare to work on the polo this weekend, haven't touched it since the last update, i did manage to get hold of a second hand tailgate and a pair of headlights to play with in the last month. The tailgate is going to have some cleaning, and the headlights Ive been giving the JOEY treatment.

pics

Going to either lamin-x or spray tint them also to get them how i want them.

Been scouting the net for info on my wheels, cant find much about them, does not seem to be many sets about by the looks. Im sure they are called OZ Ruotes, found a nice pic of what they could look like, taken from an American for sale advert, guy wanted $750 USD for them !?! :S

I decided to take out my dvd screen head unit and sell it to fund tires/coilovers as i never use it as it was intended while it was out i changed my hazard switch, may seem a bit picky but my original one had the triangle decal almost totally faded off, but managed to get a mint second hand one off a chap on tigerstyle, ta mate :D
Also fitted a different cubby hole, so the hole is now under the HU instead of above it, much better. then fitted a boggo panasonic HU with front AUX so i can bump HIPHOP direct from my quality alba mp3 :D :lol:

Managed to button up the dash today, side brackets and all the under trays fitted. been getting me down driving it everyday in such a mess but im so glad the dash is complete. center console also complete. fitted a standard 6n2 gear nob with a 6n2 gti gator to match the steering wheel and seat trim.

Last thing to do with the interior is the front door cards. then i can get the wheels and ride height sorted and then a respray.

Now the clocks have changed back to normal i should be able to take advantage of the light evenings and push on and hopefully get the car looking half decent for some shows :D
Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

Taking full advantage of the light evenings. started rubbing down/curb mark removal on my wheels. This is also the worst time in the relationship for me and wheels, i always get to this point and then end up selling them because i cant be arsed to put in the graft. but im powering through the want for an easy build and im going to get these done even if it costs me my fingerprints.

got hold of some decorators abrasive roll, a good quality one is a must. Ive used this before and its good stuff. does not brake up under use and is not so course it marks the rims.

as you can see the wheel edge is in a pretty sorry state, but crank the elbow torque setting up a notch and its amazing what you can achieve :D

getting there

bam, one smooth edge :D

gave the center cap a quick once over and managed to dig up the original cap decal :D felt all ''Time Team'' :lol:

So, as id started to 'furb the wheels it suddenly hit me that i have only taken the former owners word that they fit vdubs, so i thought i better have a trial fit. Luckily they do, center bore is bang on and stud pattern 4x100, NICE! they look so flippin small though with that crazy arch gap!!!!
The ET26 gives less poke than i had imagined, may need to space them out a bit to clear future coilovers.
hopefully these pics can be pchopped to give me lows, tires and help with wheel colour choices. (any help here appreciated)

My clear tail lighs showed up yesterday, that's another thing i can get to work on :D
Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

EDIT

this post is no longer needed, didn't fit them, they looked poope :D
Last edited by sixen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiPolo6n
New

Post by RiPolo6n »

You're so lucky to have got a front & rear bumper in the right colour.. I need both and I can't find them anywhere! Looks good so far! :)
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

you after some red ones?
RiPolo6n
New

Post by RiPolo6n »

yep. :)
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

will let you know if i get any in work :D
bikerboywill
New

Post by bikerboywill »

Love this car, the dash looks amazing, wish I had the patients and the know how to do it but it will be a very nice looking car once it's done
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Very tidy mate. Just read the whole thing. Some good time spent here

Im to guess you have used early Lupo clocks for the dash?
sixen
Bronze Member

Post by sixen »

yep, from a '99 AER
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thought so. Well done mate. Will be keeping an eye on this thread :)