Suspension Noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Suspension Noise

Post by Stugolf1 »

Hi guys, I have a Gti and I have noticed when I have the window down I can hear the compression on the suspension struts (hard to explain but the psssstt noise :P ) I hear this all the time over any type of road surface, even quite smooth roads, not sure if this is normal as I haven't heard it on any other car I've had only usually going over speed ramps would I hear the same type of noise, anyone experienced this?
NMavs
Gold Member

Re: Suspension Noise

Post by NMavs »

Completely normal matey. My GTI makes exactly the same noise. They are gas filled shockers rather than oil. :D

Wish that's the only noise i did hear though. I have a very annoying clunking noise from the rear of my car and two VW dealerships have failed to fix it. Sorry to hijack you your thread mate, but has anybody else experienced any clunking / banging noises from the rear of there GTI's? :(
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

NMavs wrote:Completely normal matey. My GTI makes exactly the same noise. They are gas filled shockers rather than oil. :D

Wish that's the only noise i did hear though. I have a very annoying clunking noise from the rear of my car and two VW dealerships have failed to fix it. Sorry to hijack you your thread mate, but has anybody else experienced any clunking / banging noises from the rear of there GTI's? :(
Oh err not heard anything like that, does it still clunk when you have people in the rear seats/loaded up? I almost always have the family on board and may explain why?
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

theirs something strange about the setup(i cant remember why i think its over dampened) the car handles bumps an corners in a odd way :?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

It's the torsion-beam rear end. Sometimes you can get a slight "boom" from the rear which is the reverberation of the bodyshell, there is an american company looking at doing some rear stress baces to combat the flimsyness of the rear body structure in the gti due to the stiffness of the suspension....

To the OP, yeah, completely normal:)
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Edi30 yeah still clunks with people in the car. The dealership has so called replaced the catches for the backseats as thry thought it was that, but still no luck. To me, it sounds like it comes from under the back drivers side wheel
Arch. Its a funny one really because sometimes when you expect to hear it, i.e going over a speed bump, it doesnt do it, but when u go over a dip in the road and the chassis is moving it clunks. I dont think its anything serious but i cant stress enough, after listening to it for about 3 months now and hearing it every journey its soo annoying. :-(