Driver side door handle won't open the door

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bigcatxx
New

Post by bigcatxx »

Hi all,

First post here as I have just got a 04' Polo 9n as my first car. It runs fine on the road but has an annoying issue on the driver side door lock. It just won't open when I pull the external door handle, but it works fine when I use the internal door lever. Both the remote lock and unlock functions are ok with the lock pin go ups and downs the ways they should. Using the key and keyhole on the drivers door could also unlock the car (the lock pin goes up). The door handle feels right when pulling but the door won't open. And now my routine is open the passenger side door first and climb over to the driver side to open from the inside, which is kind of an strange move in the public lot.

I like to find a DIY fix first and gain more understanding along the way. I have searched the forums but seems no similar problem has been mentioned before, so any idea about the issue or documents on the locking mechanism is much appreciated. Thanks

Patrick
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

The vw door handles are a nightmare of they do go. Best net is get the outside handle off since this is bleary the problem and sort it from there
g__humm
Platinum Member

Re: Driver side door handle won't open the door

Post by g__humm »

Save keep jumping over put the key in the lock hold it in the undo position and the windows go down then open from inside.
6N-Toby
New

Post by 6N-Toby »

g__humm wrote:Save keep jumping over put the key in the lock hold it in the undo position and the windows go down then open from inside.
Legend lol
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

Seems they're not as simple as they used to be! (Just looked it up in the Haynes for you)

1: Open door
2: Remove upper of the 2 rubber grommets in the edge of the door
3: Unscrew the screw 3 TURNS ONLY (screw falls down into the door if you loosen it further!)
4: Remove lock cylinder from outside the door.
5: Disconnect lock release cable (through hole where the lock was)
6: Handle then swings outward from the door, back edge 1st.

You'll presumably find that either the cable's loose/detached or the handle's broken where the cable attaches to it. Otherwise, it's off with the lock itself and investigate from there. (doorcard off, then it appears that the door is effectively double-skin, and you need to drill out rivets to remove the inner to see any more inside.)
bigcatxx
New

Post by bigcatxx »

Thanks g_humm tip for open the windows and save the climb. :)
I will check the door handle as per fonzooorooo advice this weekend and see where I could get from there
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

No worries Welcome to the forum