Anybody know of the new MOT rules regarding remaps? 2012

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
sykesy123
New

Post by sykesy123 »

hi guys :) im considering getting a remap for my 1.4 tdi and expecting to be at around 95bhp which for a small car is pretty good, but after reading up about the new MOT testing changes it says that a car that is using illegal software (not OEM) will fail the MOT, they say research is being carried out as to whether they can implement this change, but using common sense it seems that the MOT testing station would have to have a pretty snazzy diagnostic kit to discover if the code is different to the OEM code, because after all its only a few subtle changes in the code that makes the remap work, anybody reckon is just VOSA trying to scare people or will they actually be able to implement this?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: Anybody know of the new MOT rules regarding remaps? 2012

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I personally feel this will never see the light of day. The definition of "illegal" software isn't clear cut. How they'd actually detect the fact a car's been remapped is another matter.

Read this:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/11%20008.pdf

VOSA themselves don't seem to be clued up about this whole malarkey.

Ash
sykesy123
New

Post by sykesy123 »

exactly, if vagcoms doesnt detect that a car has been remapped, then what kind of software can? surely it wont work because of the amount of money each garage would have to spend in order to get a diagnostic kit that knows if it has "illegal software". some of these kits start of at 5 grand and thats for basic kits.
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

As long as the emissions are still within the mot 'pass' tolerances after the remap, and not emitting excessive smoke, i cant see why it wouldnt still pass the mot. Anyway, i'm sure that, to stay in business, the remap guys would get round it by re-installing the standard map prior to mot time and then putting back the remap after the mot.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I can tell whether a TDI has been remapped using vagcom, but only because I know what to look for. If you do some logs and check the boost and injection duration it's possible to tell. However, that requires a portable diagnostics kit, and for you to know the stock boost levels and injection maps of the cars. You're average MOT tester isn't going to know where to start to look. Combine that with the infinite combination of manufacturers, models and engines, collating all that information would be impossible. Then you have to collate data of the stock mapping and cross reference that with what's actually going on.

Try finding a single diagnostics solution that can do that for every imaginable model of every manufacturer. It's impossible. Finding one that's portable so you can take it along in the car whilst doing your data logging is more than impossible.

And like Panason1c said, it's not exactly hard to revert to stock mapping if need be. Nothing's going to come of this alleged new "rule".

Ash
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Post by JoshGTI »

The only way I can see then detecting it is by going out on the road and logging the car, and if I was putting my car in for an MOT I would not be giving then permission to go out on the road with my car or put it on a rolling road and thrash it!

I don't really understand what they are getting at either? Remapping a car doesn't make it unroad worthy!

An MOT is purely to check a car is fit to be on the road not to check if it has been remapped or modified.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Reckon it will be like every single other thiNg it will all depend where you go for your MOT
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Wont happen, just think of the cost involved for every mot station to get a magic remap tester.
JoshGTI
Bronze Member

Post by JoshGTI »

chewy wrote:Wont happen, just think of the cost involved for every mot station to get a magic remap tester.
Even if they do test for it, having a car remapped is only illegal if it isn't declared to your insurer. Can't see MOT centres asking for proof of that.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

That's the thing though - VOSA themselves are yet to define what exactly constitutes an "illegal" remap.

Going by that analogy, If I added OE mudflaps to my car, they'd be illegal according to VOSA. But you'd never get failed on a MOT for that!

Ash