"Lip on the disc or pad"

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
aaronon
Gold Member

"Lip on the disc or pad"

Post by aaronon »

I'm in for my service at the minute and the guy said "you're down to three mill on the pad as there's a lip on the disc that's eating into the pad". I asked him if that meant the lip would eat into new pads of I got them. And he said "no you just need new pads".

Does anyone know what he means? Does the lip go away with new pads?

They asked me did I want them to go ahead and fix that and the rear wiper washer but I said no incase it was too dear as all that sounds expensive.

Can anyone explain in laymans terms what he meant and how expensive the pads and washer would have been?

Thanks for any help :)
benmkiv
Platinum Member

"Lip on the disc or pad"

Post by benmkiv »

Pads are around 20 for the front axle set but it sounds to me if there's a lip on the discs they're worn too much. If the lip is eating into current pads it's going to do the same with new ones :/
aaronon
Gold Member

Re: "Lip on the disc or pad"

Post by aaronon »

He quoted me £123 all in.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Surely the lip would damage the new pads :O
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Ok I phoned him and said and they told me I just need new pads as they're down to 3mil.

Could you help me with another question? Sometimes when I brake I get a wee bit of screeching from the brake is that also because the pads are worn? If I buy new pads will the screeching go away?

Going to shop around and see who'll do me the best deal. Do you think I should avoid Kwik Fit? As I've heard horrible things about them :)
benmkiv
Platinum Member

"Lip on the disc or pad"

Post by benmkiv »

Yeah. But the thing is if the discs were eating into the old pads it will on the new ones too I'm sure!

Screeching will be worn pads and I'd imagine discs pads are around 20 a pair and it's not a hard job to do so don't get ripped off an hours work and that's me doing it myself
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

to be safe replace the pads and discs.

Brake screeching can be stopped by applying copper grease onto the pads before inserting them into the caliper.

Not the side that touches the discs!
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks a lot guys.

Are discs dearer than pads?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

"Lip on the disc or pad"

Post by benmkiv »

Yeah but you can't put a price on stopping!! :p for parts I paid £100 for EBC discs and pads from eBay and I can not fault them!!
Turbomier
Silver Member

Post by Turbomier »

my brakes are totally worn out, running on iron :lol:
but as longs as i don't have other brakes i don't drive it.

i'm getting National sport discs, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, dot5.1 oil and steel hoses.
should be doing the trick :wink:

i know a guy that is selling his D2 brakes, 330mm 8 pot big brake kit for only 600€!!
fits in a 17" (or bigger) wheel that is 8.5j wide (or wider)
but i guess that would be to much overkill :lol:
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

I think. . .after months of deliberation . . .I'm going to get it done for £123 lol.

I've been warned off Kiwk Fit!!

Do Volkswagen official service folk ever do little deals? For example. . .during my MOT they saw my rear wiper wasn't spraying cleaning fluid and it was leaking out the bottom. . .do you reckon they'd fix both for the price they quoted me (£123) for the brakes?
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Re. the disc having a "lip",this is caused by the pads not being in contact with the disc..ie. the edge of the disc,where the pads are not in contact and there is no wear...hence the lip.
If you fit new pads these should only be in contact where the old ones were,the lip will cause no problem...

John :wink:
Edit

Although it is considered "good practice" to replace the discs at the same time if they're worn....
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

aaronon wrote:I think. . .after months of deliberation . . .I'm going to get it done for £123 lol.

I've been warned off Kiwk Fit!!

Do Volkswagen official service folk ever do little deals? For example. . .during my MOT they saw my rear wiper wasn't spraying cleaning fluid and it was leaking out the bottom. . .do you reckon they'd fix both for the price they quoted me (£123) for the brakes?
The leaky washer pipe can be fixed in 15 minutes or so. You should be able to DIY it with basic tools

Remember that 15 minutes labour is £25 plus VAT in many main dealers!
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Yeah I really want to do the washer myself but I'm scared of messing it up!

Can you help me with a brake question? Does each brake at the front have two pads? Someone told me for the front brakes I'd need 4 pads and two discs :S

blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

aaronon wrote:Yeah I really want to do the washer myself but I'm scared of messing it up!

Can you help me with a brake question? Does each brake at the front have two pads? Someone told me for the front brakes I'd need 4 pads and two discs :S

Yes, each brake disc has two pads - one on either side. If you buy a box of pads from VW then you get 4 in the box. Same for the back, but the front and rear pads are different sizes.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks!!

I think they said it was just the front needed done so will buy 4 pads and two discs. I'm going to try an do it myself? Is it quite easy?