Noisy fan and loss of pressure.

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
eviljohn27
New

Noisy fan and loss of pressure.

Post by eviljohn27 »

I just read about the dreaded banshee wail comin from the heater in someone's breadvan. What is it and how do you fix it because I think I may have it goin on in mine. Amongst other things. It's also losing pressure somewhere. Plays up on long journeys on the motorway. I put my foot to the floor on the gas, the revs are stayin the same but the car doesn't go faster, it just slows down. I just tested the clutch, (put her in 4th while stationary after she'd warmed up, then let the clutch off. She just stalled.) So I don't think it's the clutch. I do have a K&N universal air filter on it. The two pipes that were attached to the original air cleaner, the bigger one has just been pointed down the back of the engine bay towards the floor, and the smaller one has just been blanked off. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm looking to get new spark plugs and check for holes in the exhaust, but if anyone else can point me in the right direction for any of these problems, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks and merry Christmas to all.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: Noisy fan and loss of pressure.

Post by fonzooorooo »

Noisy fan: Motor bearings presumably.

Losing pressure: Pressure of what? Water? Oil? Fuel?
Possibilities:
If water; pump, leaking hose, head gasket. Should be visible.
If oil; pump, blocked pickup in sump, dodgy filter, head gasket.
Fuel; dirt/rust from dodgy tank/filler neck - this blocks the pickup in the tank or gets stuck in the lines or clogs the filter (if fitted)... Or it could be the pump itself, or a carb issue.

Foot on floor and no increase in revs points to fueling issue - check the list above.