Can it look better? Help!!! New POLO

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dxg

Post by dxg »

The polo currently at the top of this page:

http://www.polo9n.com/anderepolos.html

is extremely nice, IMHO. (Der 9N von Mike, if it changes)

Love the logo in the front grill, but then this is part of his kit. That's something to ask my parts guy about. The only possibly justifable thing at awesome gti would be a 16v badge off a mk2 gti, but I don't think I'd get away with that (people would point and laugh)!!

Can't quite work out what he's done to the wing mirrors though.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Nice car. What's different about the mirrors?

:?:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Bally, well 20mm is nothing imo, but you may just want a subtle drop. As 2k says, try jacking up one side of the car until you get it looking how you want it and measure the distance. Mines lowered approx 65mm at the back and 70mm at the front and this is just about right imo!

That's fair enuff des, each to their own.
I want a stylish kit like the Caractere as opposed to anything you'd see on a Nova.

dxg, tis nice. He's got the ABT sports grille, and caractere front bumper :D His pics arent too clear.
dxg

Post by dxg »

They have some sort of lights mounted in them - look a bit like the "replacement" "alloy" door handles I've seen around (they fit over the top of the existing handle). If you look closely, it looks like there are a couple of leds inset into these - presumably acting as indicators, per mercs. Can't be puddle lights due to position on mirror.

Not sure if I like it, though - definately different!
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I was thinking indicators but I cant make anything out with those pics.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Having messed about with levels in photshop - I'm not sure about the led bit - they might just be jpeg artifacts!! Also not sure about the door hand idea either - the whole "shape" must be the light. Babelfish translates something about leds, though.

Found some more pics of polo possibilities here (have you seen these?):
http://www.andi-tuning.de/termine/messe ... /index.htm

Comment on this Polo meets elise senario:
http://www.andi-tuning.de/termine/messe ... nder/3.htm
Comment = :? (What's going on??)
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Polo 9n

Post by Ballyhoo »

To polo2k: Eeeeeek!!! How much for lowering it 20-40mm, I'd rather spend it on different alloys. Hell that is sooo much..quick give me a drink!!

Hmmm, alloys first defo. The problem is I got 'Sao Paulo' alloys when I got the car...not knowing I could have changed them (VW didn't tell me this)-1st time buyer cindrome you see. and basically they are ok, but not me...need 16 inches (if they'll fit) to fill the arch's..but I must be careful of my warrently, eg get wheels that are ok with the warrenty so it means VW wheels only...apparently according to VW.

Anyone else know what modifications are not allowed under the warrenty only on the cosmetic side , I'm not playing around with my engine...I'd probably blow it up!!

8)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

VW offer up to 17 inch wheels as an option on your model. So 16's are no problem. I saw a 9N with 18's last weekend, but I don't know if that requires bodywork modifications.

The fitting of a lowering kit (whether it be coilovers or simply different springs) can be done by an independent garage too, of course. It'll be cheaper, but may or may not affect your warrenty. I'd say fitting a kit will take up to 4 hours, but experienced fitters may do this even faster. Takes me about 3 hours front and back. Well 4 if I take it easy. If you've got airpressure tools, it'll cut back some time too...

18's:

and Merc wheels (also 18 inch)

Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

To Mole: Just been looking at yoru car, where did you get your alloys and do they cost a bomb? looking for some like this, VW ones new cost loads!!

Also, Due to my piobs with my new polo VW are offering me a saving on anything I have done, how much am a looking at for the additon of the front spot lights? Mines the SE so they are not on it and they'd be nice depending on howm mcuh its gonna cost...hmm decisons...I really need to rob that bank!! :lol:

To Speedlaw: Thanks for the pics, I'm not getting more of an idea and I think its between 16/17 or 18 if i can afford it its all really a case of money!! i'd like to get some nice allooys second hand if poss that look good, keeping my eyes open. but cheers!! :D
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Got wheels from R-Tec Auto designs in St Albans, cost about £600 for 17s with tyres. I just fancied the style that VW dont do, or I would have probably gone for VWs. But they cost loadsssss!

Front fogs about £200+ from VW, and for them to fit them probably another £200 on top! Plus they would insist on you buying a new loom for a few hundered!!!
Get them from vag parts for about £160 and wire them in yourself using my how to!
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

improving the 9n

Post by Ballyhoo »

Mole: i seriously would not trust myself..I'm new to all this and well if I f*** up my car I wold be well pissed, so maybee I'm gonna hold off the lights 4 now and put my VW goodwill gesture of £100 towards something else plus...decisions decisions....any ideas? :)
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

lol, fair enough :) It is pretty involved.
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Just had a quote for colour coding my rubbing strips £400!!! , 'cue falling off chair...' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Doesn't surprise me!!!!