New Polo GTI owner

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Glenn_23
New

New Polo GTI owner

Post by Glenn_23 »

Hell, i have owned my Polo GTi a week after picking it up from a local VW dealer, and love it so far. I am interested in doing a couple things to it and most importantly changing the lower grills for honeycomb ones. I understand the left side grill ( when looking at the car front on) has to have holes for the intercooler. Now can you buy the grills with the holes already cut or do they have to be bought and cut them out myself? I am also going to give it a quick Oil change am i correct in thinking i need 5w-30 fully synthetic oil? Is there any other popular easy mods that people do?

Many Thanks Glenn
Dennis
Bronze Member

Re: New Polo GTI owner

Post by Dennis »

yes, you can buy them!I have the ones you want!I bought them used from this forum!

look here:

http://orientalparts.com/GTI-Honey-Comb ... 90754.aspx

They're not cheap though!

I think 5w40 is ok!
Dom.
Bronze Member

Post by Dom. »

blkpolo was selling the set for 40 notes.
Not sure if he's still got any but heres the thread, http://uk-polos.net/viewtopi ... 43&t=54228.

As for the oil, 5w30 is fine.
AAGTI
Getting There!

Post by AAGTI »

I think it would be fine without holes cut out?! Obviously you could do it yourself.

As for the one in the link from "Oriental" Think you would look a bit pap with just left hand side cut out? Personal choice i guess?! :D
Glenn_23
New

Post by Glenn_23 »

AAGTI wrote:I think it would be fine without holes cut out?! Obviously you could do it yourself.

As for the one in the link from "Oriental" Think you would look a bit pap with just left hand side cut out? Personal choice i guess?! :D
I know i could get the cheaper ones and cut them myself but it sounds like a hassle and could go wrong.

Can anyone tell me if its normal that after a drive and i switch the car off, there is a electric buzzing noise at the front of the car around the radiator/intercooler area. Does the GTi have a secondary pump or do i need to whip it back into VW.

Glenn
Dennis
Bronze Member

Post by Dennis »

constant buzzing noise or?

maybe your out of air con gas!

that was the problem on mine!after the refill it's ok!
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

hi Glenn

I see your getting around here as well as DW now!

If the noise only lasts a few minutes after turning off its nothing to worry about.

Tas far as I'm aware a pump keeps churning to cool the turbo down correctly.

Does it happen all the time or usually after you've just given it some stick?

Try and drive with minimal boost when your 5 minutes away from home to allow the turbo to cool down gradually. Always good to warm up and cool down these engines.

PS I got your PM about the filter, its at my parents house so next time I Visit I will grab it for you and send it over.

Cheers

Chris
Glenn_23
New

Post by Glenn_23 »

chris meardon wrote:hi Glenn

I see your getting around here as well as DW now!

If the noise only lasts a few minutes after turning off its nothing to worry about.

Tas far as I'm aware a pump keeps churning to cool the turbo down correctly.

Does it happen all the time or usually after you've just given it some stick?

Try and drive with minimal boost when your 5 minutes away from home to allow the turbo to cool down gradually. Always good to warm up and cool down these engines.

PS I got your PM about the filter, its at my parents house so next time I Visit I will grab it for you and send it over.

Cheers

Chris
Yeah i thought i should sign up to a dedicated forum. Its only on a few mins after an extended run, shorter trips and it doesn't make a sound. Thanks again for the filter.

Glenn
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

That will more than likely be it then mate. Nothing to worry about.
Glenn_23
New

Post by Glenn_23 »

Ah that's good then. I need to take it back to VW as the rear screen wash doesn't work so would get them to check this out at the same time.
Crippin
Bronze Member

Post by Crippin »

The electric buzzing noise I believe is the water.
On my mates seat cupra r on stage 2, that takes forever to cool back down therefor leaving the buzzing noise for longer.
lukey GTI
Silver Member

New Polo GTI owner

Post by lukey GTI »

Yeah mine makes the buzzing sound. Don't think it's a urging to worry about