Changing Sidelight Bulbs: Do you need small crippled hands?!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
aaronon
Gold Member

Changing Sidelight Bulbs: Do you need small crippled hands?!

Post by aaronon »

OMG. Seriously. Laughing right now having spent half an hour trying to get the sidelight bulb out. What's the best plan of attack? I've managed to grab it, shake it, rattle it. . .but can't get the bulb out. :( This is on the left EASY side where you have loads of space! Even in there your finger gets ripped off by the screws holding in the main beam.

Anyone got any tips?

Do you need to turn it? Should I pull it by the wire?
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Changing Sidelight Bulbs: Do you need small crippled han

Post by Ben90 »

Carefully pull it by the wires and it will just pop out, make a mental note of which angle it was pulled out so it is easier to fit back in. Usually the wires do this for you and rotate it to the right angle if you grip it lightly. I've done it several times (replacing sub-standard led sidelights) with no problems, but yes you do need long fingers, or tiny Asian hands. And the bigger the engine, the harder it is to do!

Hope this helps :)
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks. Gonna try shortly again! Worryingly even though I haven't got the old one out ...it's now not coming on :( I hope I haven't broken something. :(
Gtimatt
Silver Member

Post by Gtimatt »

trying to get it back in is the difficult part lol. in one unit i have an led bulb stuck behind the silver section/backing?. and the other its down in front of it somewhere haha
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

trick is... when the bulb is out of its socket....

turn the sidelights on... so you can look on the outside (at the light itself) and then you can guide it in!

years of mario and sonic will help on this part as you will need some decent hand/eye coordination haha
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

I tried again there now!! I used pliers. . .I even used both hands in a strange contortionist style routine and pulled as hard as I could and it wouldn't come out. And now it won't work :( Why are such mundane things so difficult lol. Halfords wouldn't even be able to fix it :I
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

kc wrote:trick is... when the bulb is out of its socket....

turn the sidelights on... so you can look on the outside (at the light itself) and then you can guide it in!

years of mario and sonic will help on this part as you will need some decent hand/eye coordination haha
haha, I do this as well!

Hook your finger round the wires, give it a bit of a wiggle to see if you can loosen it slightly and then give it a jerk. It should pop out. The only reason everyone has such problems with doing this is because they aren't pulling hard enough IMO.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

blazeguarder wrote:
kc wrote:trick is... when the bulb is out of its socket....

haha, I do this as well!

Hook your finger round the wires, give it a bit of a wiggle to see if you can loosen it slightly and then give it a jerk. It should pop out. The only reason everyone has such problems with doing this is because they aren't pulling hard enough IMO.
I don't want to yank the wires incase they just pop off and I need an electrician but I was pulling as hard as I could (it cuts the fingers off you!!!) and it was shaking but not coming off. So depressing.

Saying that, I managed to change my gear knob today so I'm baffled how I can do that but can't change a light bulb.

Aren't there jokes about this? How many Irish men does it take to take out a lightbulb? :oops: :oops:
beijing polo
Bronze Member

Post by beijing polo »

i had new lights in recently and took these if they might help in future.

i didnt tug any wires, there was a grip like back bit to pull. only held on by the little sticky out bit, so no twisting involved.

hope you can put it back in now!

alan
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks for that dude. I gave in and got someone else to do it! :D
ninjakev
New

Post by ninjakev »

lol! yeah i remember changing mine. i resorted into getting some wire an somehow tying it to the base and pulled the walla! :) also driver side light was a melt trying to fit HIDS!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

There must be a proper answer to this, its the same with the earlier 9N Polo, and from some other forums sounds a lot like this with other VW cars! The N/S sidelight went out on my wife's 9N Polo and I took quite a long time to get the first sidelight out - getting them in, I found, was easy - as said just look in from the front and guide the sidelight in, then push it until it locks in.
ninjakev
New

Post by ninjakev »

Spoke to one of the VW mechanics, and he said that the manual says you need to remove the bumper but the way they usually change the light bulbs is remove the fuel filter housing (on my car anyway may vary with others) and put it out of the way and work at it that way for driver side and the other brute force an ignorance lol