Newboy with Flash Red 6n 3dr

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
The_Wax_Man
New

Newboy with Flash Red 6n 3dr

Post by The_Wax_Man »

Well, after a spare little car to do a few miles a day - hmm what to go for ?? - After a peanut cost car soooo.. I know look on ebay for a local car that's less than £500 - the idea is to run this for pennies, shopping car, rubbish tip carrier etc etc

Found a VW Polo 1997 1.4CL - 126k miles but full vw service history to 90k and every MOT since new and big pack of reciepts - up for sale at £425 with a years MOT and taxed till end of July.

Went to view the car and of course seeing it was red, knew the paint would be crapped, few damage areas i.e paint flaking a bit on front bumper, scuff on rear bumper and bit of rust on rear arch. Had a test drive and it felt quite tight, no leaks and engine looks in good order - so after doing a bit of a Mike Brewer, wheeler dealer - I stuck out £375 cash in my hand and the Polo was mine.

Inside was a bit rough - just dirty and seats a bit mucky, the guy had had a dog in there so had the obligatory 'dog slob' around the seats - no before pictures here but I steam cleaned the entire interior, dash etc and got the trusty George out to do it's thing with the seats..

Pic from George with muck taken from seats...

Interior now

So then it was on to the exterior.

Uh oh !!!! - bit faded :doublesho

Bonnet a bit flat !

Roof

Very pink tailgate

Bonnet best reflection

Figured that I'd try a wierd combo so after a full wash, clay, decontamination and rinse I used a Orange Hex with Scholl 17 and Ultrafina - this actually worked very well straight away - quick oxidisation removal and a neat paint enhance at the same time :thumb:

Bonnet 50/50

Bonnet done - reflections back and nice colour :)

Next up was the tailgate - decided to lose the badges, no point in them being there and would be a PITA to work with - Number plate removed so I could get into recess

So worked on same combo gave a quick good result

this pic - top of tailgate and roof shows how bad this paint was..

Roof in progress shot..

Roof After

So carried on working round the car till I was happy with result

So that's kinda todays work :thumb:

More :

Wheels are normal polo alloys - bit curbed and corroded - so idea here is a very simple refurb - rub down then spray with Hammerite direct to rust silver spray - Nothing fancy here but will do the job

That plus an engine clean.

Got some spray work to do on bumpers and rust remedy work > that to follow

Thx for looking - More to come :D
billyc1993
New

Re: Newboy with Flash Red 6n 3dr

Post by billyc1993 »

Love it mate the transformation is amazing just a tad of effort for such a big result, looking into getting a 6n myself but just cant find one lol good on ya though mate looking forward to seeing progress :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
mrb20vt
New

Post by mrb20vt »

i love it when you see a bad red car with faded paint turned into a gleaming red car ready to be dubbed. the interior looks lovely too nice job :D
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Hi, could you link me to the products you used to restore the paint work? Amazing job
Philipp86gti
New

Post by Philipp86gti »

nice job with the paint ! what a difference ! :shock: