Headlight/plastic polishing kits

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Headlight/plastic polishing kits

Post by Aquavalver »

I read somewhere on here about someone polishing their headlights with a plastic polishing kit, but can't remember where I read it! My headlights are fine, but I need to polish up some headlight protectors that I bought. I looked on ebay, but there are lots of different types, so wondered what had been tried and tested?!

I actually have Farrecla G3 and G10 cutting polishes+ Mazerna final finish compound and some very fine glass-paper that goes up to 12000 grade or so, so what I have might possible work?!
Last edited by Aquavalver on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricki Rick
New

Re: Headlight/plastic polishing kits

Post by Ricki Rick »

+1

I am also interested, my headlights are terrible!
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

Joycey wrote:its really not difficult i did my polo headlights and it only took me about 40 mins to do both and i didn't take them off the car at all.
all you need to do is mask around the lights to protect your paint, put some water in a bucket with some soap i just used fairy, start with 600 grit wet and dry paper then 800 then 1200 then i finished on 2000, but change direction when you change grade ie start with 600 sanding left to right then 800 up and down and so on, then to finish i just used t-cut scratch remover to polish them up by hand
I posted this up not so long ago so it might be wht you saw, it worked really well on my lights and doesn't take very long, put up some pics of the lights/protectors that you want to sort out
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

I used Meguiars Plast-X on mine and it did considerably improve them but they were still slightly hazy. The only other way of doing it is to go over them with some wet/dry and then get a machine polisher on them and it will bring them up like brand new! Plenty of guides online if you search for "headlight restoration" :)
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

I just used wet/dry sandpaper up to 2500grade, then some rubbing compound I found in Halfords. They're not perfect, but they're hardly a disgrace any more! Cost ~£5 as I had the paper already. :)
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

Joycey wrote:
Joycey wrote:its really not difficult i did my polo headlights and it only took me about 40 mins to do both and i didn't take them off the car at all.
all you need to do is mask around the lights to protect your paint, put some water in a bucket with some soap i just used fairy, start with 600 grit wet and dry paper then 800 then 1200 then i finished on 2000, but change direction when you change grade ie start with 600 sanding left to right then 800 up and down and so on, then to finish i just used t-cut scratch remover to polish them up by hand
I posted this up not so long ago so it might be wht you saw, it worked really well on my lights and doesn't take very long, put up some pics of the lights/protectors that you want to sort out
Big improvement! :D Might have a go myself and if not perfect, then give them to the car painters to machine polish up when they do the little body-work bits in a week and a half.

The various kits on ebay seem to be around £10-25!
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

Yeh they're not 100% perfect but massively better than before, a decent going over with a machine polisher will probably brIng them up that little bit better so thats worth a try, ive just looked on ebay at the kits and to be fair some of them look pretty good so may be worth a go just depends on how bad they are and how good you want them to end up