1.8T driveshafts

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
coupechamp
Getting There!

1.8T driveshafts

Post by coupechamp »

Hi all, need info on the 1.8T driveshafts if anyone has it, my ETKA has gone odd!! I need to know part numbers and details etc, length, number of splines, and if possible which other cars use the same ones, i think these are what i need: o.s 6q0407272EA and n.s 6q0407271DP. The race Polo has a new issue with the shafts we run and it looks like i need a shorter o.s shaft really as we have lowered it and added camber to it, but it doesnt like it. A lot of the stuff at the front is MK4 Golf but the shafts that are on it are: o.s 6q0407272DH n.s 6q0407271 DB. So i need to see what the difference is between them, by the way we now run a 1.8T engine from an Audi A3 Quattro Sport, through the Golf 6 speed box, any info/help, much appreciated, cheers guys
:lol:
p.s if anyone knows the difference between the 1.8t and the GTi shafts, that would come in handy, basically any info
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Re: 1.8T driveshafts

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Golf GTI (MK4) inner CV is 110mm
Polo GTI inner CV is 100
Not sure about outer CV or lengths
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

believe it or not, mk2 golf gti inner fits....

i fitted one when mine broke at santa pod with bits from the auto jumble! :D
benmkiv
Platinum Member

1.8T driveshafts

Post by benmkiv »

Take a look at the j & r drive shafts heard so many good things and they're unbelievable cheap with a 2 year warranty.
VWindahouse
Bronze Member

Post by VWindahouse »

Nice car there! Don't suppose you have any details on the single wiper arm? And a part number for the roll cage?

Cheer :D
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

the wiper arm is marked up: BONWRATH, the cage i think is a VWR job, cant see any markings and i have no details in the book for it. I saw the J and R site but they don't do the 1.8t shafts, they seem rather rare, trying to find the details on them then see if i can match them somewhere else. :?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

1.8T driveshafts

Post by benmkiv »

A mate just bought one for his 1.8t golf give them a shout see what they can do because their products are second to none.
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

There's the problem, they do the golf but not the polo 1.8t, the golf shafts we have seem longer so hence trying to source Polo 1.8t shafts ;-)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

9n(3) (or Mk1 Fabia, 6L ibiza)1.9 TDI and 1.4 TDI driveshafts should fit too. They all use 02J gearboxes to Inner CV joints will be fine and I know for a fact that the outer CV joints for the TDIs and 1.8T are the same through some research I did before doing the hub swap for bigger front brakes on my 1.4 TDI.

Ash :)

EDIT: So what 'box are you running now? 02M 6 speed from a Mk4 Golf or 02S from Golf Mk5 or later? if the former, driveshafts from the 6 speed PD130 TDIs (9n Polo GT / 9n3 PD130, PD130 Ibiza, Fabia VRS) are required. If 02S, 5speed 02J stuff (as stated above) will fit fine and dandy.
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

Kitt, this is exactly what I needed to know, it's an 02s box with 108mm flanges, not sure why this problem came up as we did run the car this low before, the only thing I can think of is the torque side of things, the old N/A engine was good but only at 6000rpm nothing down below and all very progressive whereas this engine works from about 1800 revs up and has loads of torque, anyway top man for info, that will give me something to look at tomorrow ;-)
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

for VWindahouse:
:D
VWindahouse
Bronze Member

Post by VWindahouse »

OMG DROOOOOLLLL :mrgreen:

Thanks for that! Do you have any specs listed on any other sites with what goes into those little beasties??

Oh and by the way back onto the drive shafts. I broke one and had it replaced with a stronger hybrid made from a A3 shaft. Much better and stronger bolt on the end too

Old

New
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

theres info on here and club GTi as regards to whats in the Polo, apart from that i have a file somewhere, which covers all tech stuff for the car in it's origional state, a lot has changed since i've had it. If i can help with anything just let me know, are you building something?
Just stripping the box at the moment as it played up at the last race, already found broken roller bearing and thrust washer, but noticed 5th gear has dropped and worked itself into the casing by about 4mm, so need to find out why. Still puzzled with shafts (O.S) doing what it's been doing, as i said it never did it before, so still on the hunt for a shorter shaft.
:lol:
VWindahouse
Bronze Member

Post by VWindahouse »

Awesome, you got it boosted :twisted:

Yeah I'm in the process of tuning my streeter into a time attack car. Doing it in stages to move up categories one at a time so just getting it prepped to start in the Clubsprint category.

So many questions for you if that's cool? :roll:

What coilovers are you running and what camber settings?
Where did you get those hood pins and bonnet strut from?
What turbo are you running and how much power?

Thanks very much!!
coupechamp
Getting There!

Post by coupechamp »

morning, coilovers have recently been changed from KW's to GAZ two way adjustable, and i must say i wasn't sure about GAZ, but they have really made a difference. In the VW Cup some serious money gets spent on suspension (in one camp it got to £23k!! on a golf). I dont even have that for a seasons racing :shock: so i spoke with a few people and got prices around the £2k to £3k mark, which wasnt bad but still a lot for me. I spoke with GAZ who copied what i had with the KW stuff in terms of dimensions and gave me back something to play with, for a lot less, i could of had some of their springs to but felt the rates i already had suited the car well, so stuck the KW springs on the new shocks. I also run with adjustable top plates and usually run around 2.5 / 3 degrees of camber, which allows the ride height to be dropped a fair bit, this is where this years issue of the above shaft problem has cropped up, hense the car has been lifted up slightly and camber reduced a little until we get the issue sorted. The bonnet strut i took as a standard item, always been there and i'm sure is on the standard car :wink: Bonnet clips are again a standard motorsport item which you can pick up from any motorsport shop or ebay (Demon Tweeks etc) i just painted mine. As for the turbo, at the moment standard K03's and engine really, straight from a crashed A3 Quattro Sport, although the power is still 180hp it's re-mapped with a huge difference on the torque side. The plan for this season was to find out answers before decisions made about next season. Mainly getting the power back up to where the N/A engine was (210bhp) as the car still runs to that weight class, so is in effect 50+ kilos over weight and 50+bhp down on the Golfs, so we were always going to struggle this year. Ideas already floating about are, shoving a BAM engine in which starts at 225bhp, but it's whats goes with it to run, had real hassle when i changed from N/A to Turbo as regards to the looms, i'm not the best with wirring and it did my head in, all the extra sensors that were needed compared to what was on it, then there were a load of ECU issues etc, it was a relief when it eventually firred up.

Look at me, yap yap yap, hope this helps, but again feel free to ask away :P