Adam's 6n2. CBR Goodness.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Adam-
Getting There!

Adam's 6n2. CBR Goodness.

Post by Adam- »

Okay, so I've been trolling this forum since I got the car, gradually building it up, but since I crashed it on some snow in the first year, I didn't really have many pictures.. Constant payouts for petrol and stuff meant I never really got to do much to my little Polo..

Model: Polo 6n2
Engine: 1.0 8v
Suspension: FK AK Coilovers
Brakes: GTi's. Soon to be 280's when I buy new pads and disks.
Wheels and Tyres: Lupo GTi Bathurst's. Yoko's.
Exterior Styling: GTi Splitter.
Interior Styling: Electric windows, cup holder, MK4 Golf Recaro's.
ICE and Security: Alpine Headunit, 400W RMS JBL amp, Rainbows, 8" JL sub.

My little Polo has done me really well. The obviously temp sensor and pedal box went. Rather than replacing the box, I got my trusty welder out and bodged it back together. It's held for another 8 months now, touch wood! :) I got her off my gran when I was 17, and it only had 17k on her. 2 years on, I've done 52k. :/ That's quite a lot of miles.

So, first year; she looked like this:

Then, I managed to hit a fence trying to learn how to handbrake turn! :( I blame my dad, he told me to get experience..

And repaired:

Poor little Polo! :(

So, while rebuilding, the car I found had electric windows. I wanted, so I fitted..

And fitted:

Easy. :)

Then came the GTi brakes. Red is boring, so went for something a little more vibrant behind the gunmetal wheels:

Pink! <3

Got the hubs powdercoated too:

And then fitted:

More snow came, this year, and the car turned into a snow plow:

Bought some Recaro's out of the MK4 Golf. No, they're not a straight swap, but they do fit. I didn't want to weld the seats, and since I'm not selling the car on, I just cut off the old bracket and welded on a new bracket.. Looked kinda like this..

And bolted together:

The only other problem I've had was my gearstick selector disintegrated.

Obviously cause of my rapid aggressive gear changes! :p

I just got her back from getting re-sprayed at the weekend! For 200 quid, I can't really complain. Now looks like this:

This is just the start! :) I've got my new AFH sitting in the garage; which is gonna go on carbs. Need to get the 280's sorted, then thinking about polybushing it.

Engine will probably go in next year, because insurance is a bit steep just now. I was thinking about the GTi, but it doesn't appeal, it can't be tuned as heavily, and isn't as fun!

Let me know your thoughts! :)

Adam-.
Adam-
Getting There!

Re: Adam's 6n2. CBR Goodness.

Post by Adam- »

Audio update!

My last JL sub tucked into the arch wasn't that great, only a baby 8". Packed a punch, but didn't really cut it.

So I found a Rockford Fosgate on the bay for 170 posted. 10", 1000W rms! The guy drove it from London all the way to Glasgow! What a legend!

The sub is an a absolute belter! 15kgs! :/

Wanted to do a proper boot build for it too, so started this in between rain showers:

Sorted. Trying to get a 1500w rms amp off a guy on here, hopefully he'll post it! :)
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

So things've been really busy recently! :/ Bought a rear beam, fogs and some other bits off a guy on here; LLLupo or something! Really sound guy.

GTi Clocks:

Fogs:

Black interior light:

Rear beam being stripped

Handbrake cables being painted, worked on:

Picked up an AFH engine, box and loom for 200 quid. Sorted.
Ripped the head off as the guy didn't know the milage and I was worried it wasn't great.

Started working on the loom:

Clean-ish.

The bores are pretty clean tbh:

So that's looking good! :)
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Had a massive problem with my poor little AUC engine the other day! :( The O2 sensor shorted out after being kind of run over! The car then threw a freaky, none of the faults would clear and would only idle! Luckily, I wasn't far from home so got it back okay. Time was 1.00pm.

Phoned my dad and decided that it would be a better idea to, rather than get a new ECU, bugger it and throw the AFH in.

Time is now 2.0pm.

Got the car up the driveway and got some mates round:

Using a hammer, 2 men, it came out:

Note; this is once the 'box is off.
AUC crank ring (it's toothed):

And the AFH ring:

A little giggery pokery andddddd:

Clutch on:

And got the box on and called it a night there. :)
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Went to VW today and got a discount! :D

Spent 200 quid on:
Headbolts
Head Gasket
Tensioner/etc.

So that's that sorted. Throttle cable is coming too. Just need carbs and a manifold made up. Hmm, what carbs do i need? Will CBR600 Fj's do?

2 men and a lot of swearing later:

Some loom onto it too:

Got the TCi module from a MK2 Golf today, so nearly sorted ignition. :)
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Today's plan is wire up the rest of the loom, go and collect my headgasket from VW and then get the head and exhaust on.

Left the rocker in water and degreaser to try and free the old gasket, it's actually solid! :/

Also just off the phone from a lovely man called Alan. He's from Stirling and scrapping a poor little MK2! So I've had the ignition module, coil and dizzy for 15 pounds. And it's new! :D
It's going to the scrappers on Monday, so if anyone wants any bits, get in touch with him!

Need to run a throttle cable, might have to drill the bulkhead! :(
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Cleaned the head, rocker cover.
Got it timed too, and all the belts on.

Head clean:

Rocker cover on, all the belts on too:

Exhaust was bolted together too; then tomorrow is get a throttle cable run and finish the wiring. Then get the front end bolted back together.
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Had alot happen recently, got it all back together, and got a manifold made up.

Got spark too, and then the brand new dizzy gave up? So it's running off the standard AFH just now, obviously static timing doesn't do it much hope. But, it runs. Well, ran.

Being the spack that I am, I forgot to make sure the crank bolt was FT and it came off. :/ so, the head came off, and I'm 6 valves down. :/

But, it ran, and it sounded f*****g gorgeous!

Pictures:
MK2 Golf ignition amp bolted on:

Throttle pedal adjustment:

Removed the old DBW system:

Took the head off today, it's getting sent away, will get some pictures up later.
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

So, got it running again today, sounded lovely on the carbs, a little tweaking and then the vac adv dizzy chucked it, so the AFH one is on running static timing. Drove it about like that, went and got petrol, then work and went for a drive after.

Wasn't heavy footed at all, then went up a hill, it started to run on 3, and then it just locked up.

Oh, no. That was Monday night, got it back last night and tore the head off it, it's bent YET ANOTHER 4 valves, and piston 2 has dropped into the crankcase. I'm actually having no luck.

Had a massive discussion about breaking it/setting it on fire for money from the insurance and nothing seems viable..

With no money, I'm out the game for the next few weeks. Need to get the head fixed, another belt, gasket, and trying to pick up Saf's block this weekend/Monday.

I want to throw the towel in!
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

I've heard that so much recently, thanks! Gonna take it off the road for a few weeks I think and do without, start at the back and just work forward, fixing everything..

Mum suggested I break it and sell what I can, and buy a Ka or a Corsa. I honestly couldn't though, mines so close!

So, everyone likes carnage, so have a peak:

Engine out in an hour..

Got it tipped on it's side and there was a horrible sound of shrapnel falling around the bottom:

What was in the sump:

A piston wedged under the bore:

Pumped snapped off its mounts:

Fried and shattered big ends:

Notice the snapped big end bolts, etc:

Con rod:

Straight piston; 1 of 2:

Remains:

Piston with punch mark:

Another bend rod:

Sump:

The sump had punch marks. These engines will not take boost and this is why!

Such a mess! I actually cried last night.

It's a sad day.
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Bought a rebuild block off Steve (Stevo Trendy); so cheers for that man!

Cleaned up the box, new seals and all that:

Admired my new blockkkkkk:

And the misses came over last night, and being the little grease monkey she is, helped my throw the new one in.

So got it all in last night, tidied up the rest of the loom, carbs back on and tried to fire it! :( Was a no go. Until I realised the dizzy had the leads on the wrong way.

Fired first time! Boom. Take it.
Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Hiyaaa oil pressure!

After a major problem of having no oil pressure even with it being a brand new oil pump, turns out it was missing a bush - 030115112B if anyone wants it.

It bridges the gap between the pump and the block, which the new block wasn't fitted with.

VW would be waiting a week for the part, so I made one up using an old socket, as it was the perfect diameter for the whole. Wrapped it in Self Amalgamating tape and pressed it into the block. All fitted back up, sump back on with a new gasket and filled it with oil.

Fired it up and prayed for the best. Removed the oil pressure switch to see if I had oil, stupid mistake. Never seen so much oil come out a hole before..

The finished product:

The wiring loom is so thick! :/

Contains oil pressure, temp, revs and speed. Done.

Knurled screw to adjust idle. Whether it'll stay in is another question..

And a video:
And, it lives! It's a bit whiry cause I'm getting noise through the speakers. But, nonetheless, it's function. Just need to pay for insurance now..

Adam-
Getting There!

Post by Adam- »

Today, I cleaned it, made myself an OEM Flipkey fit the Rclick stuff. Picked up some engine covers and tarted them a little; tweaked the timing by ear and it pulls lovely.

Got myself a new expansion bottle because the old one was letting the bay down a bit. Just need an AFR Gauge now..

It's clean:

Carbon Wrapped some s**t because racecar:

Sorted the throttle cable because there was a notch and it was doing my box in:

OEMness:

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Some hard work gone into that - Many wouldve given up the first time!

Good job mate :)
luk3matth3ws
Getting There!

Post by luk3matth3ws »

alexperkins wrote:Some hard work gone into that - Many wouldve given up the first time!

Good job mate :)
Agreed, lot of work put in there!