Audio Upgrade advice please

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
kimbo
New

Post by kimbo »

Hi folks,

I've just bought a 2001 GTi and would like to upgrade the Audio without going mad (£££)

I currently have a Blaupunkt Beta Radio/Cassette with a CD changer in the boot.

The front speakers are the little ones on the A-pillars and in the doors.

There looks to be speaker grilles in the rear but no sound coming out.

Any idea where to start? Speakers or new head unit or both? Any recommendations?

Would it be best to go straight to an Audio shop or try a DIY?

Many thanks!
jonni3
New

Re: Audio Upgrade advice please

Post by jonni3 »

Hi Kimbo, I'd start with the head unit first & as usual it all depends on your budget.
You''ll need the head unit removal keys to get the old stereo out,very easy job to do yourself, it took me about 10 minutes to remove the old & fit the new.
I picked up this Kenwood head unit for my Gti, it's well spec'd & would really recommend using a wiring adaptor for what ever head unit you get, makes fitting so much easier.

It's worth removing the auto changer from the boot as it won't be used any more, it weighs a ridiculous amount for what it is.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

When I bought my Polo it already had a Kenwood head unit installed with the utility to plug in an ipod which was great. So for this reason I kept it, just pulled it out the plug the sub lead in. I'd definitely recommend getting a new head unit, something which allows an external input. I'm pretty sure my Polo still has the standard speakers in it and I'm very impressed with those, so have not changed them. I've just chucked a sub in the boot, and the overall sound is great. The nice thing about the Polos is that they're built so well compared to the French cars, that nothing makes an annoying rattle! :)
slarner
Bronze Member

Post by slarner »

I've got a pioneer headunit. And focal front components with crossover.

12" Audio System Dual voice cool sub
F2-300 Audio system amp for sub.

Only pain with 6n2's is getting all the wires to fit behind the headunit.

I'm impressed with mine blows loads of chav Halfords stereos away!!
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

Start with head unit. It's not uncommon for them to stop distributing sound (You can test the radio by pulling it out and using a multimeter to read the ohms. But for the sake of having a nice new HU, that you could plug your phone/mp3 player in, you might as well just get the HU)

Ive got a Pioneer DEH- P85BT atm. its not fantastic but my old unit was robbed and thats all i could afford to replace it with at the time. ive also got Infinity Kappa front components speakers,Infinity Kappa Rear 6x9s (got a stealth shelf), and a Vibe stereo 4 amp. And full Dynmat Sound deading. I love it, as its just right for me. I'm not into loads of Barry Bass, there's just enough how I have it, but mainly focused on sound clarity. :D