RNS 315

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Big ste
New

RNS 315

Post by Big ste »

Hi
I have just picked up a new Polo R line and specced the RNS 315 thinking it would have the bluetooth built in instead of the vw aftermarket bury system.

The dealer is telling me there is nothing VW can do, but as I understand it some of your guys have got this working.
Can someone help please?

Cheers
New

Re: RNS 315

Post by AvatarX »

Maybe this will help you:

There is a possibility that you need to do this first:
http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2011/08 ... th-carkit/

But this is something you have to tell the VW guys to do it for you probably.
Eddie-gt
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie-gt »

You need to add a couple of wires and a Microphone
Big ste
New

Post by Big ste »

Thats great, many thanks I will speak to VW.

Does anyone know what pins to connect the microphone to or is there an actual VW mic thats plug and play

Cheers
Big ste
New

Post by Big ste »

Bump!!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I was under the impression (could be wrong...) that there are effectively two Bluetooth systems running in cars with the nasty-looking Bury thing. The first is the car's built-in system, the same 9w7 unit as fitted to other VWs, with the built-in microphone up by the map lights and the unit fitted beneath the driver's seat. The other is the Bury thing.

Your phone talks to the Bury, and then the Bury talks to the car. The reason for this is that only the GTI has the Highline dash cluster (and, possibly, the BlueGT when that arrives), and as such most cars have no way to control the Bluetooth system as they have the RCD310 stereo. I think this is a bit of an epic failure on VW's part- just go and sit in a Fiesta and see how much more professional the Bluetooth system is there- they need to produce a headunit that works properly with Bluetooth that isn't the RCD510 or one of the Satnav units.

From what I understand (again, could be wrong!) you can disable the Bury system, and the head unit should be able to connect your phone. You're then left with the ugly Bury thing cluttering up your dash. If it's stuck to the top with a sticky pad you should be OK, but if there are screws involved then that won't be fun.

If you have certain phones then you can get a holder that clips into the Bury and charges your phone (I know the iPhone 4 and 4s are supported, not sure about others).
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

RNS315 has Bluetooth built in internally. Its the only current head unit to have this and can be enabled using VCDS. Just requires a Mic to use. Far better than the disgusting Bury kit VW insist on fitting.
nigelibrown
New

Post by nigelibrown »

I have had my Blue GT for a couple of days now and the Bury Bluetooth is annoying me because I am aware that the RNS-315 option that I chose when I ordered the car is capable of doing the job on a decent screen.

Has anyone step by step information on how to turn the Bury Bluetooth off and enable the RNS-315 phone functionality. Mic is fitted to car already so I guess it might not be that difficult?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The bury mic and the RNS315 mic are very different, plus additional wiring is needed behind the RNS to get it to work

Kufatec sell a kit, but it isnt cheap

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Volkswage ... ?info=4107

Then it should just be a case of enabling it in VCDS - however, some newer models (2012+) no longer have bluetooth as an activateable option in vcds.
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Should for sure be possible to activate in VCDS. Microphone may be available cheaper elsewhere.

I really detest the Bury kit, its a shame VW force new Polo buyers to tolerate its awfulness.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The bury kit, in my opinion, isnt that bad by comparison. I had a fiscon basic plus in my Edition 30, and whilst it was very good, it was lacking in certain areas.

The bury kit can also connect to two phones at once, which is a big plus against the VW bluetooth kits, and has excellent voice control and dialling capabilities.

Ive moved mine into the center console near the drinks holders so its out of sight, and much better placed as its a bit of an eyesore being on the right hand side of the dash.