Running on 3....

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Chris.T_pologti
Getting There!

Running on 3....

Post by Chris.T_pologti »

Hey yalllll!!! Over the last couple of days my car from cold has started idling/ misfiring then after about 20 seconds its fine, until last night. I was driving along an the car sounded like it was running on 3 cyclinder's and the performance just dropped through the floor!! As i pottered home the engine management light began flashing!! Can anybody help me diagnose the problem!! I was thinking a coilpack?? Cheers guys
Chris.T_pologti
Getting There!

Running on 3....

I forgot to mention its a stage 2 polo gti
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Re: Running on 3....

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Coil pack.

Leave engine running and remove one at a time to find the dead one if you don't have a code reader/VAGCOM

The morning start up thing tends to be plugs so worth checking these too.
Chris.T_pologti
Getting There!

Running on 3....

Hero :D x
Chris.T_pologti
Getting There!

Running on 3....

I will put it on vagcom tonight aswell to diagnose the problem. Somebody told me about a recall on these, can anyone back this up?? X
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

I have heard of this but never tested as i have never had a coil pack go in the 3+ years I've had mine. and i always carry a spare in the boot just in case.
Gtiandy
Getting There!

Post by Gtiandy »

I had this before also,

It was cylinder no.1 so changed that then 2 went, then 3, then 4.

Ended up replacing all four, been fine ever since. Also the same happened on my friends Ibiza 1.8t so best bet is buy 4 and return the ones you don't use of keep them in the boot incase it happens again,

Andy
gti-joe
Silver Member
Drives: 6c Polo Blue GT

Post by gti-joe »

Chris.T_pologti wrote:I will put it on vagcom tonight aswell to diagnose the problem. Somebody told me about a recall on these, can anyone back this up?? X

There was a recall for numerous VAG group vehicle coilpacks and its still running. Phone your local dealer with your chassis number (should be in your owners manual or in the small window in your windscreen) and speak to the service department, they should be able to tell you there and then if your car is due the recall.

If it is not covered by the recall but it is a coilpack that is gone, here is a link which tells you if your one is obsolete and the part number that has superseeded it, which i presume is and upgraded item.

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... &start=101
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

The VAG coil packs are a bit of a joke. They seem to have been updated several times, but never actually get any better. The latest one ends with an 'F' I believe, but you can't order the obsolete ones any more so it doesn't really matter. That said, the VAG ones are better than the pattern parts that are also available - I had one on mine, car wouldn't run right and it smelt burnt when I replaced it with a proper one. Avoid.

I blew the top off a coil pack whilst overtaking a line of trucks on the M6 a couple of years ago.Engine suddenly died. Very dramatic.