Questions about 6r GTI. Remapping. Intake and exhaust

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Questions about 6r GTI. Remapping. Intake and exhaust

Post by mashmarriner »

Hello. Am after a GTI next year. Been doing abit homework about it and found out with the right intake, miltek exahust system (cat or no cat) and a remap. You can get that little 1.4 to about 240.

Just a few quick questions to get my head round all this tuning

If I bought one and remapped stage 1 you can get it to about 210. That is without any other mods. Correct me if I am wrong

My question is. Can I wait and buy the right intake and miltek exahust system and just go stright to stage two.

If so. Are there any down sides to this. Or would I be better off going stage 1. Then fitting all the extra naughty bits. Then stage 2.

And also can some one please explain what all these diffeent stages of remap do or wheat they are for,

Just wanna get my head round it, I understand if ya think am just a young lad thinking he is it.

A dont think that at all other wise I wouldn't be asking for your help. Hope someone can example this to me

Thanks
NMavs
Gold Member

Re: Questions about 6r GTI. Remapping. Intake and exhaust

Post by NMavs »

You would be best going straight to stage 2 mate if you can afford it. You will save yourself a bit of dollar in doing so.

As for the stages, they stand for the following:

Stage 1 - Stock car with just a remap (usual with just a free flowing panel filter in the standard air box) - around 205-210 bhp
Stage 2 - Intake, Exhaust, Intercooler and a custom remap to make use of the extra bolt on bits. - around 230bhp
Stage 2+ - Stage 2 plus bigger turbo, etc. - around 260 - 270bhp if my memory serves me right
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

Cheers mate. Just go stright for the stage 2 like. Defo be worth the wait.

How much would it cost. From what I can see cost me about 1500 to get it to 240
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

Stage 1 = 210
Stage 2 + VWR intake + Milltek = 240ish (intercooler is not needed only recommended)

ive got a stock GTi with a full milltek fitted, ordering my vwr intake
from Awesome gti and Il be going straight stage 2 same time :D

Brand new your looking at £1500 without fitting.

Awesome gti is around £66 per hour i think, took 2 hours on mine but worth the wait 8)
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

Joe9n3 wrote:Stage 1 = 210
Stage 2 + VWR intake + Milltek = 240ish (intercooler is not needed only recommended)

ive got a stock GTi with a full milltek fitted, ordering my vwr intake
from Awesome gti and Il be going straight stage 2 same time :D

Brand new your looking at £1500 without fitting.

Awesome gti is around £66 per hour i think, took 2 hours on mine but worth the wait 8)
rights dude thanks, thats nwt really £1500 plus fittin as i spend over £3000 on wheels alone the past 2 years hahaa
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

Going straight to stage 2 is all well and good with the power mods, but the Polo GTI needs cooling to keep it running ok otherwise it will pull power back by reducing the ignition advance. There are also the basics like Uprated spark plugs - BKR8EIX and I also ran cooler rated antifreeze in the radiator as well as a higher spec synthetic oil ( typically Millers fully synthetic oil with nano technology is a very good choice). This is on top of an Uprated radiator, Intercooler and water methanol injection.

Water methanol injection was primarily another method of keeping the engine running cool, but also has advantages of making extra power, cleans the inlet valves and engine inlets as coking is another issue over time on direct injection engines like this one.

Hope this helps a little. 8)
LocoPolo70
New

Post by LocoPolo70 »

Hurdy wrote:Going straight to stage 2 is all well and good with the power mods, but the Polo GTI needs cooling to keep it running ok otherwise it will pull power back by reducing the ignition advance. There are also the basics like Uprated spark plugs - BKR8EIX and I also ran cooler rated antifreeze in the radiator as well as a higher spec synthetic oil ( typically Millers fully synthetic oil with nano technology is a very good choice). This is on top of an Uprated radiator, Intercooler and water methanol injection.

Water methanol injection was primarily another method of keeping the engine running cool, but also has advantages of making extra power, cleans the inlet valves and engine inlets as coking is another issue over time on direct injection engines like this one.

Hurdy, werent you running BKR7EIX sparkplugs in your build? Do the 8's have a colder spark?
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

Yea dude thanks. Really need to do a lot more home work. Before I start owning a performance car

So I really need to concentrate on the little bits first
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

LocoPolo70 wrote:
Hurdy wrote:Going straight to stage 2 is all well and good with the power mods, but the Polo GTI needs cooling to keep it running ok otherwise it will pull power back by reducing the ignition advance. There are also the basics like Uprated spark plugs - BKR8EIX and I also ran cooler rated antifreeze in the radiator as well as a higher spec synthetic oil ( typically Millers fully synthetic oil with nano technology is a very good choice). This is on top of an Uprated radiator, Intercooler and water methanol injection.

Hurdy, werent you running BKR7EIX sparkplugs in your build? Do the 8's have a colder spark?
Yeah, I was. You can use 7 or 8. I moved to 8 when I ran the hybrid turbo, but you can run it at stage 2. I'd probably go with 7's at stage one though......good spot! :)
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

Has anybody noticed any considerable increases in oil consumption from going to stage 2 ?
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

From what I been reading on other forums, when going to stage 2, the use of oil and petrol flys up mate. That's just from my understanding anyway

And another quick question, ano it does not matter when going to stage one. But to get the best out of it. Would I be better off fitting the miltek exahust system before the stage one or after.

Also Ad love to go to stage 2 later on in life once I get bored and want more power, also what the best system for me to invest my money in from the best results

http://revohardware.com/p/72/milltek-ex ... 14-tsi-180

Would love a decat for the noise. But I have a baby on way. And don't think that would be very nice for the little baba, how loud is the sports cat. Would you said that's a nice level of noise, thanks
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

If you have the exhaust fitted, you will require stage 2 straight away pal otherwise you'll get the ECL light on.

And oil consumption is just hit and miss with all these engines. Im at stage 1 at the minute and its no worse than what is was from day 1. A mate of mine is stage 2 and his is also fine.
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

Cheers mate. But this will not damage ur car in anyway. Thou will it. I been reading of people running about with miltek and light on for well over a year, and which system would be best for me. Would it be the sports cat. Instead of the decat. As dont wanna f**k on with MOT. and with a new baby dont want it too loud
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Yeah sports cat all the way mate. Sounds loverly. De-Cat is way to loud, and sounds pants IMO.

Regarding runing it with the light on, you will be damaging your CAT, which obvs isnt good news. And also, when your looking at spending £1300 quid on an exhaust, whats another £350 to get the map altered and actually make use of what you've got. IMO, save your pennys. Either go stage 1 and middle box delete or just save till you can affod stage 2 :)
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Got revo stage 1 and miltek cat back and that is plenty quicker enough! Only down side feel it lag needs the itg so will get it soon!