Recommended shocks for tdi 9n?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
RTP
New

Recommended shocks for tdi 9n?

Post by RTP »

Hi guys, I'm upgrading the old girl with some new Cupra wishbone bushes and also want to put some new shocks on her.

My question is what to go for..
It's on original 98k tdi sport suspension.. The shocks are tired to say the least and need replacing really.. ( very bouncy at the front end )
I want a set up that's going to be a comfortable ride, as its the daily for the wife and family. I've bought some 50mm lowering springs as I would like to drop it tho really.. But if this means its going to be harsh then I mite not?..
Would new oem shocks work with the 50mm springs for a comfy lower ride? Or would it have to be sport shocks?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: Recommended shocks for tdi 9n?

Post by fonzooorooo »

Normally lowering springs will have in their description if they're for standard or "sport" shocks. From what I've seen, 40mm tends to be the "cut off" point for use with standard shocks.

My experience of lowering springs with standard shocks is limited to 1 set, fitted to a mk2 'rocco - My mate had a set of (cheap 2nd hand) lowering springs that were clearly designed for shorter, firmer shocks. He bought some new, aftermarket shocks, and machined the length down on them at work. It was VERY bouncy. The shocks were just too soft, and were doing next to nothing.

Shock and spring kits work well enough (same mate fitted some to another 'rocco for a while) ... Nothing wrong with the ride - he replaced them with coilovers so he could go lower.

None of that's done much to impress me though... Our mk1 and 2 golfs and 9n polo are on standard height suspension, and my (and my mate's) passat's on coilovers, which revolutionise the barge-like wallow they have from the factory, and leave the car riding softer than a lot of modern cars!

Welcome to the suspension debate nightmare!
RTP
New

Post by RTP »

Theres a set of 'cheap' sport shocks on eBay that I thought mite go with the 50mm springs I have..

4x gas lowering sport shock absorber VW Polo 9N MK5 -09 ( sorry cant link it on my phone )

Would these be ok? Or is it advised to stay away from cheap shocks?

I don't want to buy oem shocks and knacker them if I put the lower springs on..
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

How long's the warranty on them? If it's 2 years, and they're cheap enough, use that as your answer!