Engine swap

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Skandy
New

Engine swap

Post by Skandy »

Hi I was woundering if anyone has put a 1.8t out of a tt? Or what's the best option to go for. Can any help?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Engine swap

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

The 1.8T out of the Golf GTI, Seat Ibiza Cupra and 9N3 Polo GTI would be the better option

The 225bhp BAM engine that they used in the TT, S3 & Leon Cupra is not the strongest of engines, well known to be less reliable than the other 1.8T VAG engines.

Not much information on here about engine swaps, probably best looking at a more specific forum to find exactly what you will need.
It's not a cheap conversion either, you will need the engine, box, all the wiring loom, ECU, drive shafts, engine mounts, custom exhaust, brake upgrades, differential etc. Labour costs alone would amount to thousands unless you do the work yourself

It would be cheaper to buy a 9N3 GTI or a 6N2 with the conversion already done
Skandy
New

Engine swap

Post by Skandy »

Im Just looking for some info on it or what you need to do to fit engine and things like that. Or is there anything other conversions that can be done with not to much messing around?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Skandy wrote:Im Just looking for some info on it or what you need to do to fit engine and things like that. Or is there anything other conversions that can be done with not to much messing around?
Unfortunately not mate, your best bet would be slapping a supercharger on the 1.6 lump and running it at low psi (170-180bhp).
That extra 45-55bhp would make a hell of a difference however the gearbox would need to be strengthened.

It's costly whichever route you take, I honestly don't think its worth the hassle, time and money.
It would be more cost effective to buy a VAG car with a 1.8T already fitted like the Ibiza Cupra, 9N3 GTI, Golf GTI, Leon Cupra, Audi A3/S3 etc
Skandy
New

Engine swap

Post by Skandy »

Well that's what I was going to do. I'm a panel beater by trade so I'm fine with doing chassis work and anything like that. I'm trying to find the easiest way of doing a conversion and what you need?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Theres no set conversion path on these as such

Alot is customised as the polo uses a short block engine which makes it more complicated to just drop a lump in

From a supercharger perspective, alot seem to use an Eaton M45 from a Mini Cooper S

If you go down the 1.8T route, its pretty much engine, loom, gearbox, custom drive shafts, custom engine mounts, custom exhaust, custom radiator etc.

Most will cost between 3-4k to complete successfully.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Alex is right you could easily spend 3-4K and that's doing it relatively cheap, places like JBS Auto Designs charge 6-8K for a 1.8T conversion
That does include the engine however but either way its going to be costly.

Eaton charger would be your best bet as Alex suggested (very popular with the Lupo GTI crew) but that's not a cheap piece of kit either.
You will still need the charger,custom exhaust, custom exhaust manifold, uprated fuel injectors, custom brackets to mount the charger, a fully re-programmable ECU + mapping, uprated driveshafts, smaller radiator, possibly a FMIC etc

Cheapest way for more power would be 50 shot of NOS 8) cost about a grand for the kit fully installed