Just bought Polo 16v

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
macp
Getting There!

Just bought Polo 16v

Post by macp »

Its been a while sorry but just been out and bought an old valver. They are quite rare around here though I guess not so on this forum. Its got 58,000mls with 4 virtually new tyres a 12mth ticket and a tidy interior. There is a little bit of corrosion here and there but nothing really serious just needs a little tidying here and there. Overall though it looks fine and seemed to drive well no knocking or thumping from anywhere. The only thing I noticed was slow leccy windows which seems common and it needs a service. I handed over my spons because at this kind of money I cant really go wrong can I.

Last edited by macp on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macp
Getting There!

Re: Just bought Polo 16v

Post by macp »

So having driven it for a bit now I notice the temp guage slumps to zero when driving and occasionally moves a little in traffic so I suspect either a new thermostat or temp sender. Im hoping the temp sender as I guess its a lot simpler to do. Im also wondering if the fuel gauge is faulty too as I stuck a tenner in it last night and have covered almost 30mls and its almost in the red so 17.94mpg, no smell of petrol anywhere though. Leccy windows are also slow to move but on the upside it still feels pretty quick and seems to drive ok and has a decent interior.

Right im off to read up on that gearknob replacement as I notice people are fitting a MkV item. Also mine looks like a 4x4 in comparison to others on here I will have to do something about that. I fitted lowering springs and kept the standard shocks on a BMW and did not notice any difference in ride quality. I assume the same for the Polo ?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Likely to be the temp sender - this can also cause over fuelling.

Leccy windows probably just need lubricating on the rails and inside the motor, but you may have some worn/damaged parts to the mechanisms which you can get repair kits for.

Golf Mk4 gearknobs are the general route people take as its an easier swap - theres a guide in the DIY Guides section somewhere

With regard to suspension, if you dont go any lower than 40-45mm on the factory shocks, the ride will become a little firmer but nothing unbearable.
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

Thanks for the comments Alex much appreciated.
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

So first proper long run out today and I love this little car. That 1.4 16v unit is so willing & eager and for me plenty fast enough for normal road use. It steers really well too. Im so getting the obsession with these cars and it reminds me of my old Mk2 Golf GTI.
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

So I bought the genuine vag temp sensor £40 :shock: and installed it and it made no difference to the temp guage unfortunately but you never know it was still worth replacing in my book. I have the thermostat and new cover to go in so that will hopefully cure the problem once and for all.

I noticed the revs were up and down and sticking at at just over 2k before dropping after a few seconds so I was hoping the sender would sort this too as it happens it may have helped. I cleaned out the throttle body and it appeared not to have fixed it so next I left the battery disconnected for a 3 or 4hrs and yes success she now idles perfectly :D
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

So now to the clutch & gearbox which I would appreciate some feedback on.

On cold mornings I can hear a rattle from the gearbox which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed.

I note the clutch pedal is stiff to push down not really tough but stiffer than it should be.

When accelerating & decelerating through the gears I note there is a gravelly sound which at first I thought was a blowing inlet manifold. Its not loud you cant hear it when cruising at speed and the gearchange is totally fine but I wonder if its the first signs of the gearbox giving up ?

So with cambelt needing replacement we are starting to look at around £800 before I start into replacing worn suspension bushes etc. I am wondering if its worth me throwing this kind of cash at it ?

The engine is very willing and full of life though and I can imagine with all the work done it would be superb especially as that little 16v unit thinks its at least a 1.8. So would you throw money at it ?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Gravelly sound could be the clutch release bearing. This will explain the stiffness of the pedal too

I would replace the clutch and go from there
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

Cheers Alex I guess the quandry I have is whether to spend the money when the car cost me less than a grand ?

For what it will cost me to get this car how I want it I could probably buy something like a 9n FSi 86 sport similar to this?

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ?logcode=p

Having said that what if this needs money spending on it ?
mark4_polo
New

Post by mark4_polo »

looks clean mate :) good base for some mods
MrStevenYoung
New

Post by MrStevenYoung »

Very clean mate, good foundation
greg_tdi
New