New polo estate ? mark 3 6N2?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Yoda's helper
New

New polo estate ? mark 3 6N2?

Post by Yoda's helper »

Hi all,

looking to sort out a few things with the new motor. I inherited it, as my Dad has just bought a shiny new fox, and passed on the old x plate family motor to me, as i was looking for something a bit more economical than a 3.0l diesel truck. Its a petrol estate, with the fly by wire throttle and is 1.4l

So far i know that the EGR is likely buggered, and i have attempted to block it off, which makes the car run great but shes drinking fuel, (relatively) and the fault codes that keep coming up are po171 and 402-408. (egr related and cylinder one running lean)

I have plenty of experience with the spanners, but mostly with jap stuff, so any advice or pointer on successfully blocking off the egr, and getting the dam engine warning light to stay off would be great. everything i find seems to be aimed at diesels?

Also, rather interestingly i have seen a post suggesting that a GTI intake manifold may bolt onto my engines head? is this the case? as this would apparently delete the egr?

I successfully modded my old jap buses, so the idea of bit of a sleeper gti hybrid 1.4 with tubular exhaust manifold appeals. Plus if anyone has links to pics of these cars with aftermarket wheels and or lowered slightly (to give me ideas) thats cool too!

any pointers and advice would be great thanks.

Si
Yoda's helper
New

Re: New polo estate ? mark 3 6N2?

Post by Yoda's helper »

Any ideas peeps?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: New polo estate ? mark 3 6N2?

Post by alexperkins »

The EGR should be able to be removed and cleaned

Failing this, it needs to be replaced

You may find if it hasnt been running great, that a set of spark plugs will help matters

The GTI has an EGR valve too so not 100% sure where you read that one

Removing the EGR in any case, without a remap, will cause overfuelling.