Anyone have a 1litre Mk5?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Anyone have a 1litre Mk5?

Post by Redline »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone on here drives the often woefully underpowered 1 litre. I'm having trouble finding any decent performance mods as they all seem to be for the 1.4 8v and above.

cheers,

John
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I currently have one. I bought it at the time because my insurance was astronomical.

I had a look for any upgrades but also couldn't find any.There's a dealer nearby who suggested stripping it and using lighter parts but all quite costly.

I thought about trading it in for a GTi but in the end went for the new polo 1.4 FSi.

Ovbiously slightly more expensive than any upgrades but it's a hell of a lot faster. Even the 1.2 is.

James.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

well if i had a 1l then id prolly concentrate on stuyling but in the engine bay the mods would prolly be
induction kit
cat back exaust
power system (ask josh hes the uk importer)
then id get a set of omp or padgid blue pads because then you can stay at speed for longer
then or prolly before sort the suspension out because a car bcan be fast fbetween corners but if your having to slow down to 5mph in the corners then you will get over taken by scooters
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Insurance is my main problem really, and as much as I'd like to change to a 1.4 Mk5 or even a 1.2 Mk6, its not likely to happen soon.

Suspension is something I want to concentrate on. I've got 15" OZ Racing alloys with Yokohama AVS Sport tyres so the grip is there, but the body roll and suspension "float" mean its difficult to push hard with confidence.

Is there any advantage going for an induction kit instead of a panel filter on the Polo?

cheers, John
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I'd go for suspension first.

Then Air Filter (Panel K&N) and Exhaust

Then Power Box

Then Port & Polish

Then Manifold

However...

If you saved the money instead of doing all that, you could probably pay for insurance on a GTi for a couple of years! :wink:
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

Thanks Josh.

Most likely going to keep the 1-litre for the four years I'll be at Uni, so I'm prepared to do some work to it.

Any recommendations on exhaust manufacturers? Just I've had difficulty finding ones that make back-boxes for the 1-litre.

My main problem is choosing whether to fit just springs or springs and dampers. It needs lowering certainly, but I'm just not sure whether to go for uprated dampers as well.

cheers,
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

well for an exaust im looking at a devil catalog and there might be one that might fit its a single 102mm diam pipe for the 45hp and i think the price is about 550 swiss franks (im not sure if there swiss franks so call to check) another placer to check would be madac because i bought one off them and when they realised they didnt make a model for my polo they borrowed a polo from vw and custom built be one :d
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

and wietec list the polo from 1.0 to 1.4 under the same part number and offer a -40 kit @ 260 Sfr
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

polo2k, thanks very much for the info
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

:)
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Personally, I would get a air filter and exhaust to improve the sounds, then leave it. Power works on a percentage basis (cams add 15% power, head work adds 10% etc...) which means that power gains from anything you add aren't going to be that great, so you would be better saving the money and buying a bigger engine (or more powerful car) at a later date. If (like me :lol: ) you struggle saving money, set up a savings account with a release date. Put a bit of money in each month, at the end of the term you'll have a whopping great wedge of cash to spend! :P This is what i've done and why all the work on mines been done at the same time.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

my brothers is a 1litre. as we have found there isn't much you can do engine wise, but do u really want to do much to a 1 litre? we have found that remus do a cool backbox for the one litre, i looks a little like this:
thats going to be the next purchase!
other than that k&N do an induction kit for the car, how it goes on is behond me, u can't see nuffin under that box! :D
heres some pics of his car, its now got GTI grill, GTI front spoiler (hopefully changing for a reiger one soon) 15" OZ suppalerra alloys on spax lowering springs (35mm). interior wise he hasn't done much, but its got wolfsberg door pins, VW fit CD player. waiting to be put on is momo gearnob, black leather gaitor (waiting for crome surround) and not forgetting the rickbroock silver tax disk holder!
here are some recent pics!
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

doug&dan, cheers for the info on the backbox, let me know what its like when you've got it :)

15" Superleggera's as well, obviously somebody with taste there as well :D 35mm drop is what mine should have when I eventually get round to doing it, but at least I know it'll look ok.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

back box is on order, be with us in a couple of weeks! free delivery or free fitting if you can get to them and bought through elite direct for £200!
www.elitedirect.com or tel: uk 01708 525577
also got the gear nob, leather gaitor and chrome surround fitted, looks great! pictures soon!!

KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Make sure you update members rides when you get them. and it would be appriciated if you could take some step by step photos of the mods in progress - so either yourselves or me can do a quick write up in DIY (for the good of the forum you see :D )