Bumper scuff.... Grrr

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Bumper scuff.... Grrr

Post by wolfie »

Well some kind soul (for kind soul read 'retard') left me a lovely bumper scuff this morning right on the corner of the rear bumper (offside) just behind where the mud flap mounts.

Mud flap appear to have taken brunt of the hit, but the paint has been scrapped through and the plastic can be seen underneath and has some scuffs in it. Car is reflex silver so I doubt a 'spot-repair' would ever be totally invisible. Anyone have any idea of what it cost to have a bumper re-sprayed these days? I'm guessing £100-200 ish
Josherswilson
Getting There!
Drives: 6r GTI

Re: Bumper scuff.... Grrr

Post by Josherswilson »

yeah you'd be looking at around £150-200 for a bumper re-spray.
I had mine done at mates rates for £100. Same sort of issue as you, didnt leave any insurance details :twisted:
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, gut-feeling it was going to be around that sort of money. I do know a place that do good quality work but skint at the moment so it will have to wait a few weeks. At least its plastic so there won't be any corrosion issues if I leave it as it stands for a little while. It just so flippin annoying, a wonder sometimes if a cheap run-around would be better. It's always at the back of your mind when you try and keep em nice.
Last edited by wolfie on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Even on a cheap run around, you'd be just as annoyed. Damned ignorant people that damage cars and leave no details anger me :evil:
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

alexperkins wrote:Even on a cheap run around, you'd be just as annoyed. Damned ignorant people that damage cars and leave no details anger me :evil:
Yeah, I'm furious really. I'm a saddo, I always park away from other vehicles where possible and give people as much room as you can. Problem is most folk don't so much park their cars as abandon them, and pre-occupied mothers letting the kids fling the doors wide open makes me cringe. Sods law I've put more effort into keeping this Polo as mint as possible and it's picked up worst scuff I've had in years. The fact that they do it and just drive off, well what can you say?
zim
New
Drives: Polo 6C, 1.2 TSI 90

Post by zim »

I'm like a magnet to these kinds of "accidents". I've had so much bad luck with people opening/smashing their doors into my car or scratching the sides with shopping carts and whatnot. Never once has has anyone left a note or tried to contact me... :( :evil:
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

alexperkins wrote:Even on a cheap run around, you'd be just as annoyed. Damned ignorant people that damage cars and leave no details anger me :evil:
Yeah, I suspect you're right. It's more the thought that some toe rag has scuffed it, knows they've scuffed it and yet still isn't bothered. Unfortunately it's ever more common. I'll wait for the weather to pick up (it's blowing a gale this morning) give the car a good clean and run it into somewhere for a quote. Stand back and wait for the sharp intake of breath.... :cry:
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Does anyone have a link to information on how to remove the rear bumper?

It's looks fairly straight forwards but just in case there are any hidden screws or wires I need to be aware of.

Cheers
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

it helps to first remove the license plate lights ;)
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by perarduapropatria »

wolfie wrote:Well some kind soul (for kind soul read 'retard') left me a lovely bumper scuff this morning right on the corner of the rear bumper (offside) just behind where the mud flap mounts.

Mud flap appear to have taken brunt of the hit, but the paint has been scrapped through and the plastic can be seen underneath and has some scuffs in it. Car is reflex silver so I doubt a 'spot-repair' would ever be totally invisible. Anyone have any idea of what it cost to have a bumper re-sprayed these days? I'm guessing £100-200 ish
No CCTV?

wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

No such luck.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, thought it looked straightforward, but it's easy to miss a plastic clip or connector. It will have to wait a couple of weeks, but I think I'll remove it myself and just get a quote of repainting. It's Reflex silver so I doubt a spot repair would ever be invisible, and it would drive me nuts eventually if I could still see it.