Sunglasses Holder and Exhaust Trim fitted

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Sunglasses Holder and Exhaust Trim fitted

Post by RUM4MO »

Just to confirm that the sunglasses holders currently sold from China, do fit, as long as you are smart enough to work out a way to secure them to the car frame - current grab handle is just clipped in, sun glasses holder is still old school - ie secure with a screw - but current cars have slots where there used to be small holes for self tapping screws, so you need to be creative! Exhaust trim, if I was being completely correct, I would have altered the angle slightly on the exhaust pipe to bring it bang on to being exactly the same as the chrome trim - but I was just lazy and fitted it without doing any altering, looks okay!

Needless to say, wife, who is the main user of this car, did not want(ask for) either of these parts - I think that all she wants me to buy for it is fuel and servicing, and do the washing/hovering!

One final comment, the sunglasses from China, well normally these parts get fitted into a cardboard box, but probably to make life easier, it was sent in a plastic jiffy bag, and the securing screws were fitted into the locations on the sunglasses holder with about 1.5" sticking out - one was sticking out through the jiffy bag, I'm surprised that the Post Office people did not complain about that - not a very good idea!
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Re: Sunglasses Holder and Exhaust Trim fitted

Post by TheFrog »

I still haven't received my sunglasses holder from China, despite having ordered it 3 weeks ago. When you say 'creative', what do you mean exactly?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I ordered my sunglasses holder on 14th August via "smooth-dealer" and it arrived today 4th September, well within the estimated time.

As I said, the car body has a rectangular slot punched in it where older cars had a small hole for a self tapping screw, my first version of fitting it has involved using dry wall fixings - I don't know which type/brand they are but they have two "wings that can be collapsed and the fitting pushed through the slot into the void behind.

I'd be interested to hear about what method other people have used in case they are better than my one.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My brother ordered a sunglasses holder from China and it was a straight fit - just popped in like the grab handles do so not 100% sure what version you have bought
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

alexperkins wrote:My brother ordered a sunglasses holder from China and it was a straight fit - just popped in like the grab handles do so not 100% sure what version you have bought
Good news... except mine still hasn't arrived yet :roll:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote:My brother ordered a sunglasses holder from China and it was a straight fit - just popped in like the grab handles do so not 100% sure what version you have bought
Ah, well the one I ordered was for Golf Mk4 etc - as was the one I initially ordered via VW and fitted to wife's late 2002 9N Polo, and I think that it was listed as being "1J0" which is a redundant VW AG part, what was supplied was a "18D" which I assumed was the later China market part, it is identical to the "1J0" part and off course uses long self tappers to secure it to the roof mounted grab handle holes - but as I discovered, the 6R1 6C Polo has rectangular slots for the later "snap in" handles.

Edit:- it has to be said here that I went into this blind as I did not suspect that the fixings for the grab handle on this car would be any different to those on previous cars I had fitted sunglasses holders to, so the sight of fixing screws in the ebay listed item did not scare me off at all. Now I know better and hopefully others can avoid that mistake.

alexperkins, do you know what the description was for the item your brother ordered?
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

TheFrog wrote:
Good news... except mine still hasn't arrived yet :roll:
So, which one do you think you have ordered? It is not a complete disaster if it is the same as the one I got, just a bit trickier to fit that is all.

Edit:- your posting shows a black version and two self tapping screws are included in the picture - so you will be getting the same as mine, pity neither of us knew about this before ordering!!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

TheFrog wrote:I still haven't received my sunglasses holder from China, despite having ordered it 3 weeks ago. When you say 'creative', what do you mean exactly?
Hi there, have you received your sunglasses holder from China yet - if so, did you manage to find some fixings to let you fit it to the Polo?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi there, any update on my request for info on which version your brother ordered from China, P/N would be handy for anyone else wanting to buy the correct version?
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

RUM4MO wrote:
TheFrog wrote:I still haven't received my sunglasses holder from China, despite having ordered it 3 weeks ago. When you say 'creative', what do you mean exactly?
Hi there, have you received your sunglasses holder from China yet - if so, did you manage to find some fixings to let you fit it to the Polo?
It arrived today - more than a month after I ordered it. Had a look, but don't fancy messing with the existing clip things in the grab handle. Probably won't bother fitting the screw-in holder I ordered. Pity.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Pity, that is why, on probably behalf of anyone considering buying one of these items, I'm putting the call out so that someone should come back with the description and part number of what fits these later cars without resorting in innovation. I still look on ebay and I've never ever seen anything other than what we bought, on sale.

Releasing the existing grab handle is okay, you just need a couple of smallish flat bladed screwdrivers to release the ends one at a time using both of the screwdrivers. The fixings I used were for fixing items to a plasterboard wall, ie plastic fixings with wings - and I used the next down gauge of self tapper screws.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

RUM4MO wrote:Pity, that is why, on probably behalf of anyone considering buying one of these items, I'm putting the call out so that someone should come back with the description and part number of what fits these later cars without resorting in innovation. I still look on ebay and I've never ever seen anything other than what we bought, on sale.

Releasing the existing grab handle is okay, you just need a couple of smallish flat bladed screwdrivers to release the ends one at a time using both of the screwdrivers. The fixings I used were for fixing items to a plasterboard wall, ie plastic fixings with wings - and I used the next down gauge of self tapper screws.
Yes, I'm sure it can be done with a little fiddling, but I just don't fancy the job in case I screw up.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

Great, thanks Alex. I just ordered a black one - hope it doesn't take a month to arrive like the first one did ;)
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

So it fit to Polo 6r? ☺