6C BGT Rear Windscreen heating issue

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

6C BGT Rear Windscreen heating issue

Post by tomtoon2015 »

Hi all,

So I've had my BGT since May, and obviously never really had to use the heater but now it's winter we all have to.

So over the past few days, the front windscreen clears really quickly but even on MAX Setting (as per manual) the rear windscreen doesn't clear barely at all even after 15-20 minutes (driving along)

I'm gonna ring VW, just wondered if anyone else had this issue?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 6C BGT Rear Windscreen heating issue

Post by SRGTD »

tomtoon2015 wrote:Hi all,

So I've had my BGT since May, and obviously never really had to use the heater but now it's winter we all have to.

So over the past few days, the front windscreen clears really quickly but even on MAX Setting (as per manual) the rear windscreen doesn't clear barely at all even after 15-20 minutes (driving along)

I'm gonna ring VW, just wondered if anyone else had this issue?
I didn't realise the rear screen demist had a MAX setting; it's either on or off, and is activated by pressing the button to the left of the hazard warning flasher button in the row of buttons below the central 2 air vents on the facia.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

you could check if the window gets hot at all, if it stays stone cold you might have an electrical issue (i.e. blown fuse)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

SRGTD wrote: I didn't realise the rear screen demist had a MAX setting; it's either on or off, and is activated by pressing the button to the left of the hazard warning flasher button in the row of buttons below the central 2 air vents on the facia.
I completely agree, so why do VAG use the same symbol for front demisting and rear demisting - well they near enough look the same!

Sometimes I get concerned about which is front fogs and which is rear fogs, so maybe I'm easily confused!!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote:
SRGTD wrote: I didn't realise the rear screen demist had a MAX setting; it's either on or off, and is activated by pressing the button to the left of the hazard warning flasher button in the row of buttons below the central 2 air vents on the facia.
I completely agree, so why do VAG use the same symbol for front demisting and rear demisting - well they near enough look the same!
Yes they do look very similar, but it's not just a VAG thing, as many other manufacturers use the same symbols, which suggests they're the recognised symbols throughout the motor manufacturer industry for windscreen and rear window de-misting.

tomtoon2015, let us know how you get on resolving this. Cheers.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member

Post by tomtoon2015 »

Hi,

I've spoken to VW and they said it's the middle button above the touchscreen in a MK6 polo. This means the manual is incorrect or I was looking incorrectly but I'm pretty sure i wasn't. I'll test it later if it's misty and update
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

i'm fairly certain that turns on the hazards
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

iichel wrote:i'm fairly certain that turns on the hazards
Yes, the middle button is for the hazards. The rear screen demist button is next to it, on the left.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member

Post by tomtoon2015 »

That is what I meant, the button next to the hazards, and it worked.

Tbh VW probably did tell me 5 months ago but hey it was unnecessary to use until now. The manual must be wrong but I'll double check it haha
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

RUM4MO wrote:I completely agree, so why do VAG use the same symbol for front demisting and rear demisting - well they near enough look the same!

Sometimes I get concerned about which is front fogs and which is rear fogs, so maybe I'm easily confused!!
Windshield: Curved

Rear window: Square

Foglights:

Front points towards the ground for you to see the road ahead:

Rear point straight back for prople behind you to be able to see you in the fog:

Quite simple actually... Just add common sense. ;)
(If all fails with the foglights... when you pull out on the light switch, it's 1 notch is the front on. 2 notches it's both the front and the rear foglights on. And when the rear foglight is on there is also a yellow foglight symbol on in the dash)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes all very logical (and I thought that I understood logic?) - to be truthful, I've never considered the significance of the symbols for the Front/Rear fog lights, coupled with the problem that UK, I think, had with how/when the front and rear fog lights could switch on, ie what other lights needed to be on first, I don't know if UK fell in line with EU regulations, or just gave in like they did for "dim dip" years before EU agreed on DRL.

For the first time since my wife got her new Polo, I noticed the instrument lighting changing intensity depending on the current ambient lighting levels this afternoon as we drove form open road to through trees and back to open road, so I now know that that works.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Alternatively the EU could come into line with UK, change their rules and drive on the proper (left) side of the road.
Malcolm Scott
New
Drives: 2010 (60) 1.2 SEL TSI

Post by Malcolm Scott »

Hi Tomtoon 2015

Your reference to the "Max" symbol makes me wonder whether you have the Climatronic upgrade fitted.

If this is the case, then pressing the "Max" button (with the adjacent symbol) will over-ride the automatic adjustment of the (heated) airflow, maximising the flow to the front screen to facilitate demisting of same. At the same time, the fan is turned to full speed and the air recirculation (if selected) turned off.

The heated rear window is separately switched as described above and is completely independent of the Climatronic setting.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ricmondo wrote:Alternatively the EU could come into line with UK, change their rules and drive on the proper (left) side of the road.
No, that just would not work as we would go and buy our cars taxfree in places like Denmark, then pay UK taxes on them - what would we do with all the money saved? No, it would not work we would end up being rich.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Malcolm Scott wrote:Hi Tomtoon 2015

Your reference to the "Max" symbol makes me wonder whether you have the Climatronic upgrade fitted.

If this is the case, then pressing the "Max" button (with the adjacent symbol) will over-ride the automatic adjustment of the (heated) airflow, maximising the flow to the front screen to facilitate demisting of same. At the same time, the fan is turned to full speed and the air recirculation (if selected) turned off.

The heated rear window is separately switched as described above and is completely independent of the Climatronic setting.
Said with tongue in cheek, " I know, why didn't VW hide that switch in the MMI along with that other handy switch - the ESP or whatever it is now?"