Emissions Scandal - VW confirm Blue GT included

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Emissions Scandal - VW confirm Blue GT included

Post by lancslad1985 »

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I last posted due to buying a house and finally sorting my error strewn car out. I just saw this on Auto Car. Seems that our beloved Blue GTs are now included.

"A VW spokesman has confirmed that the latest scandal affects Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW cars with what are described as "small" engines. Reports suggest that cars powered by the 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with Cylinder On Demand technology are affected. Further reports suggest that VW BlueMotion diesel models with three and four-cylinder diesel engines are also affected."

Link is as follows

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... tification
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Re: Emissions Scandal - VW confirm Blue GT included

Post by JohnPolo »

Yes I'd heard that. I believe vw got too big and too arrogant. Feeling that they could act with impunity. They never admitted any problems with 6r GTI engine but we, previous owners, know otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
tomaspolo7
New
Drives: 2015 6C Polo GTI

Post by tomaspolo7 »

Couldn't agree more.They tried to be the best at everything,making in my opinion,too many models
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Does VAG really think that it is necessary to add in stuff about the petrol engines in a bid to try to placate some owners?
This petrol engine stuff and equivalent older/newer diesel engine stuff is an entirely different issue and is related to do with the international standards that cars are being tested against - which is being sorted out soonish.
The original emissions issues was caused by a company or companies deliberately cheating.
Plot has been lost I think.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Looks like a paperwork rather than engineering problem but quite possibly a cash back opportunity for affected owners. I've been told by an unreliable source that only 138ps BGTs are affected 150s having a different certification I wonder if anyone has a real grasp of what is going on?
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by Bigtam »

Check here http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

I stuck mine in and got this
Dear Volkswagen customer,

We wish to confirm that your vehicle with the Vehicle Identification Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX you submitted, is not affected by software that may cause discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs.

Please note: this information is only valid for Volkswagen Passenger Cars and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Please ensure you use the relevant brand website to check if your vehicle is affected.

Yours faithfully,

Volkswagen.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

But this thread is about BGT CO emissions not diesel NOx matters.
Bigtam
Bronze Member

Post by Bigtam »

My car is a Blue GT
Bigtam
Bronze Member

Post by Bigtam »

Cant find 1 for us Blue owners to check
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by DKPOLOGT »

BGT here also.
Very interresting.

/ *L*
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

While the "main event" for VAG right now is diesel engine emissions, I'd expect all their attention will be dedicated to sorting that out, this latest disclosure covering some petrol engines, while being annoying for owners with the possibly affected engines, is a lesser "wrong" and is probably more widespread across the market place - it will mainly be sorted out and/or exposed after the EU sorts out its defined method of testing engines and cars prior to going on sale (2017>?) , and I'd suspect due to a lot of mistrust carrying out retesting of engines and cars already in the market and still being manufactured. Unfortunately this gives manufacturers quite a breathing space to fix things and possibly come out of this squeaky clean.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

'My car is a Blue GT'...

The database you searched on is clearly identified as diesel, that explains why you got a diesel NOx oriented answer.

We are still in the dark about BGT CO emissions however I spoke to an automotive consultant operating near Woking this morning who thought the anomalies probably originated from the testing cycle failing to properly embrace cylinder cut out. He thinks the problem is more related to the testers than the manufacturers.

He could of course be totally wrong or perhaps it's 50/50.

Difficult to know just what to believe at the moment.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, it seems that when modern cars are tested by the manufacturers for approval for use in EU, lots of things need to be omitted due to the test method being written so many years ago and modern cars have systems in them that are not named, or maybe even not "allowed" to be active during the testing. EU regulators must be desk jockeys to think that the current test would be fit for purpose for - maybe ever!(?) Emissions reduction demands are handed out, but the test remains the same, a bit like the current problem with automatics being lower rated than manual cars when in real world conditions, the manuals tend to deliver better (lower) emissions, that bit seemed to be forced in by the manufacturers to suit their "drive" to deliver automatics which gives them some thing to charge more for. Don't get me wrong, I have no axe to grind over automatics, but the truth should be told about which version is the more environmentally friendly in normal use.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Probably yet another red herring but some six months ago long before Volksgate I noticed a number of vehicles undergoing emission testing on roads near to my home. New vehicles with a plethora of pipes and a field kitchen shaped assembly clinging to the rear bumper. I'd never seen them before but over three weeks I saw half a dozen or so, one Peugeot and a selection of VAG cars. I live near to the offices of a popular car magazine and the National Physical Labotatory, they could have been connected with either, neither or both but the sudden proliferation of such vehicles is odd. Do I write this off as meaningless or should I be putting my Tin foil hat on?
Bigtam
Bronze Member

Post by Bigtam »

Ricmondo wrote:'My car is a Blue GT'...

The database you searched on is clearly identified as diesel, that explains why you got a diesel NOx oriented answer.

We are still in the dark about BGT CO emissions however I spoke to an automotive consultant operating near Woking this morning who thought the anomalies probably originated from the testing cycle failing to properly embrace cylinder cut out. He thinks the problem is more related to the testers than the manufacturers.

He could of course be totally wrong or perhaps it's 50/50.

Difficult to know just what to believe at the moment.
Yeah I never noticed until you pointed it out :oops: