Polo GTi or GT

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ashtons99
New

Polo GTi or GT

Post by ashtons99 »

My lad is looking to swap his 1.2 Corsa for something a little less numb and has been looking through the ads at the 6R Gti DSG. Up to about 2012 model year. Or about £12k.
Today I saw a blue motion GT on a local forecourt. I thought it looked very nice, missing the classic Gti tartan but still nicely styled and some of the GTi bits and was on a 64 plate for similar price to a Gti 18 months older.

Just reading up on the GT I'm a bit baffled on the power output, some ads say 140bhp others 150bhp. Is there some sort of year change/power increase.

What are thoughts on the forum on a comparison of these 2 cars, it would seem obvious that running costs for the GT will be noticeably less but any all round views would be appreciated.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Polo GTi or GT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

I would (and I did) take the BlueGT over the GTI.

The GTI's twincharger (both turbo and supercharger) engine with a chain drive is a very weak engine and there has been countless problems with that engine stretching the timingchain.
Not to mention the DSG7 gearbox attached to it which has been very faulty aswell. VW changed the oil in the gearbox to a semisynthetic some years back which helped. But reports from a friend at VW here in Denmark tell me that they are starting to come back with problems again.

The BlueGT on the other hand has a brand new 1,4 TSI engine singlecharged (only turbo) produces in the 6R 140 hp (mine has been dyno'ed to 150 though) and in the faceliftet 6C VW has tweaked the ECU to get 10 more horsepower. Other than that "tuning" the engines are identical before and after the facelift.
There has not yet been any faults that I have heard of with these engines. And they have been on the market since they were first introduced when VW revealed the Mk7 Golf 3½ years ago.
If you go for an automatic it has the same DSG7 gearbos as I descriped earlier. So I would (and again did) go for the 6 speed manual.
The engine has ACT which shots two cylinders off when you drive and use less than 100 nm of torgue from engine. Some hate it as it can make the engine vibrate a bit more than usual and others along with myself like the system.

Hope this is helpfull to you and your friend.
ashtons99
New

Post by ashtons99 »

Martin
Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I think you are telling me really what I was thinking about the 2 cars. Although the Gti has some nice touches I'm not sure we are brave enough to go into the unknown with a 2 or 3 year old car with no warranty.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I agree with Martin. The engine in the 6R gti is not very reliable. From the outside the GT and gti have a lot of similarities and if you're not into all the red accents, the GT even looks a little better too.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Excessive oil consumption has also been an issue with many of the 1.4 twin charged engines in the 6R GTI. Check out the 'Are You Using Oil?' and '6R GTI 1.4 Oil Usage Poll' threads in this (the 6R / 6C) section of the forum.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I have a GT with the DSG box and they are great cars. I have had mine for 2 years now and have had no issues with the DSG which hasn't skipped a beat, I have drove it normally round town and also had fun in it as you have to with something as good as the GT. The ATC engine is great especially when tootling down the motorway in roadworks doing 50mph. It's nice to look at your MPG and see 90MPG plus. All in all don't think you can go wrong with a GT. Hope all goes well
ashtons99
New

Post by ashtons99 »

He has seen the logic of a GT now, he's only 20 so the little "i" on the end does make a difference as we know but for his £12500 he can stretch to 150bhp GT with main dealer warranty etc. At that money we were looking at GTis 18 months older without a decent warranty and with the associated concerns of the twin charge engine.

The only thing he's a bit disappointed about is the Bixenons and fancy DRLs don't seem to appear on many GTs like they do on the GTis as a fitted option
duffman
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by duffman »

I'd have been well chuffed with a GT 150bhp at 20! Took me to 28 to get my GTI.
Timmsy
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Timmsy »

Agreed! I was rolling around in a £600 1ltr 205 at 20! I'm now 30 and only just got a GTI lol

Granted I had a 205 gti at 23 but still
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had a Blue GT and it was an excellent car. Didn't suit my needs though as I do lots of long distances and the ride was a bit firm for me and the boot was too small. I am looking at getting another one when we replace my wife's 1.2 tsi SE however as it was so much fun to drive and really economical for that quick a car. As others have said, the old GTI engine was also rather unreliable I believe.

Just a thought, has he looked at the ibiza fr with the same engine as the blue gt? Won't hold its value quite the same but still a cracking car and cheaper than the polo version.
ashtons99
New

Post by ashtons99 »

Thanks for your post. He likes the interior and particularly the dashboard of the polo over the Ibiza. That's what swings it I think
dillo161
New
Drives: 6C Blue GT

Post by dillo161 »

Hey,

I hope I can help. I am (funnily enough) 20 years old aswell! I also have a 6C Blue GT (150PS) and absolutely love it! I've just had it over a year now and I can say it has never given me any problems. At 20 especially, a small 1.4 engine that gives you 150BHP is more than enough! If you or your son had any questions, please do t hesitate to ask!
ashtons99
New

Post by ashtons99 »

dillo161 wrote:Hey,

I hope I can help. I am (funnily enough) 20 years old aswell! I also have a 6C Blue GT (150PS) and absolutely love it! I've just had it over a year now and I can say it has never given me any problems. At 20 especially, a small 1.4 engine that gives you 150BHP is more than enough! If you or your son had any questions, please do t hesitate to ask!
Thanks very much all for your replies. He had a test drive in the car today and immediately fell for it, the 1.2 Corsa is all he's driven since passing his test so I guess 150hp would have impressed in any car !

Anyway after the usual rounds of haggling we got £500 off the screen price.

The car is aNov 14 reg 64 plate. It has a a few options fitted, it is blue silk with the black Alcantara seats, they are heated and with a centre armrest. Guessing that may come standard with the black Alcantara. It also has factory tints, front park sensors and factory mats.

The car has done 8,100 miles.

Hopefully he will be happy with it and manage to find the bucket and sponge on this one !!
dillo161
New
Drives: 6C Blue GT

Post by dillo161 »

ashtons99 wrote:
dillo161 wrote:Hey,

Thanks very much all for your replies. He had a test drive in the car today and immediately fell for it, the 1.2 Corsa is all he's driven since passing his test so I guess 150hp would have impressed in any car !

Anyway after the usual rounds of haggling we got £500 off the screen price.

The car is aNov 14 reg 64 plate. It has a a few options fitted, it is blue silk with the black Alcantara seats, they are heated and with a centre armrest. Guessing that may come standard with the black Alcantara. It also has factory tints, front park sensors and factory mats.

The car has done 8,100 miles.

Hopefully he will be happy with it and manage to find the bucket and sponge on this one !!

I'm glad he enjoyed it! I felt the exact same way when I test drove mine! Also the heated seats work a treat, especially with our weather! If you have any questions or queries, don't hesitate to drop me a message!
ashtons99
New

Post by ashtons99 »

Thanks. I will tell him. I'm sure he will have some questions. Just got to sort his insurance out now. !