Forge cold air intake 1.2 TSI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Asamoli
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI (105) SEL polo 6r

Forge cold air intake 1.2 TSI

Post by Asamoli »

Hi, does anyone else have this intake fitted? If so is anyone having any problems with it. Received an email today from forge telling me it would not fit my car but would not say why.. as you can see I have one fitted and as far as I can tell it runs perfectly fine, no fault codes ect. My engine code is the same as the ones they say it fits on the website so I'm abit confused as to why they are saying it will only fit the ibiza :?
Asamoli
Getting There!

Re: Forge cold air intake 1.2 TSI

Post by Asamoli »

[quote="Asamoli"]Hi, does anyone else have this intake fitted? If so is anyone having any problems with it. Received an email today from forge telling me it would not fit my car but would not say why.. as you can see I have one fitted and as far as I can tell it runs perfectly fine, no fault codes ect. My engine code is the same as the ones they say it fits on the website so I'm abit confused as to why they are saying it will only fit the ibiza :?
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
JCannon
New
Drives: Polo R Line 1.2 TSI

Post by JCannon »

Hi mate,

I had the same problem when I first got mine, on Forge it doesn't list for the 6R, but if you go on Demon Tweeks etc it does list for the 6R, no problems with mine either! :D :D
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

A cold air intake that draws its air from the hot engine compartment? Am I missing something obvious.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ouch!
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

Cold air enters the engine bay when the car is moving and gets sucked in.... Not hard to understand

Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

And that cold air is heated by the engine, or are you suggesting it's cold under your bonnet. Even easier to understand I think.

Proper cold air intakes are configured to collect cold air from outside the engine bay, always have been always will.

A reconfigured air intake such as that shown looks sporty and may even sound different but it isn't a cold air intake no matter what the manufacturers may claim.
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

If the car is moving it goes directly into the intake it doesn't just chill under the bonnet... I get what your saying and when the car is stationary for example the air it sucks in is warm until the car is moving then cold air flows through the engine bay into the intake

Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Nice theory but irrespective of any ram effect under bonnet temperature will always be higher than ambient temperature and that heated air will, following the law of physics be less dense.

Under the bonnet you have an internal combustion engine, exhaust manifold and very often a turbo charger, all prodigious producers of heat. Take a look at a WRC Polo and observe the extreme measures taken to extract heat and cool the inlet charge, same physics but in an extreme case. Think about the radiator, it only works by transferring heat from the cooling medium into the under bonnet air, the faster you go the more hot air you feed into that confined space.

Look at the size of an F1 cars intake and imagine how much drag it produces in an attempt to injest cool air, no team would countenance that sort of parasitic drag if they could draw cool air from under the engine cover.

Finally look a where intercoolers, oil coolers etc are positioned to ensure a supply of cool air, I've yet to see them sitting at the back of the engine compartment unless there is a direct feed from an external duct.

If you bought a model T Ford, way before even I started motoring, you could buy a compartment that you mounted under the bonnet. Before you set off you filled it with raw food. When you arrived at your destination you had a piping hot cooked meal.....don't think that would work if there was a constant flow of cool air under the bonnet.