EGR Problems, keep it or sell it?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CGreen98
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

EGR Problems, keep it or sell it?

Post by CGreen98 »

I am having a dilemma, I bought a TDI 90 just over a year ago now and one month after buying it had the dreaded EGR go on me costing £800. The car is 2011 and only on 40000 miles.

I am doing really short trips on B roads and around town (no trip really longer than 20 Minutes or 10 miles). So my question is whether I sell the TDI now and get a 1.2tsi but I've heard they have more problems (pre 2013 ones)... or do I keep the TDI for another 4 years and hope I can sell it before the EGR goes again?

What's people's opinions? Any recommendations? Don't want to spend over £7000.
Thanks
Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: EGR Problems, keep it or sell it?

Post by skipster »

My Father in-laws EGR valve went on his Golf TDI (10 reg) and cost about £1,100 to fix, he only does short journeys. To make the most of a diesel you really need to be doing big mileages to make it pay for itself. Sounds like your driving habits don't really merit a diesel and with all of these pollution issues being touted around now, I think diesel is going to start falling out of favour.

I would not rush, but start looking at a petrol alternative, you should get a decent one for £7K, the TDI could start dropping in value quite steeply in 4 years time if new tax/pollution laws come to fruition.
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

skipster wrote:My Father in-laws EGR valve went on his Golf TDI (10 reg) and cost about £1,100 to fix, he only does short journeys. To make the most of a diesel you really need to be doing big mileages to make it pay for itself. Sounds like your driving habits don't really merit a diesel and with all of these pollution issues being touted around now, I think diesel is going to start falling out of favour.

I would not rush, but start looking at a petrol alternative, you should get a decent one for £7K, the TDI could start dropping in value quite steeply in 4 years time if new tax/pollution laws come to fruition.
Thanks for that, yes I think you are right. I kind of got the TDI by default from my father who upgraded, I recommend the TDI to him as the old PD engines seemed very reliable in the older models.

I am quite keen to stick with VW but wouldn't want to go with the 1.2tsi because of all the timing chain issues, the 1.4tsi GTI for obvious reasons!, so I am left with the old 1.4 85.... a bit of a dinosaur with very high tax and not too good on fuel..!

Il keep this TDI for a bit longer, and hopefully either get a 6C TSI or possibly the rumoured Up! GTI...!

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I agree with what you say about the 1.4 86ps, but it is a reliable engine and very suited to what use you put a car to. Economy is not too bad and the road tax is a lot better than the £500 I pay for my S4!!!

Edit:- to be quite honest, I don't think that a turbo charged petrol engine will "enjoy" or be at its best over the usage that you have outlined, so you might be back to paying more on repairs than on a 1.4 86PS engine car.

Another Edit:- I tend to use a late 2009 1.4 16V 86PS Ibiza quite a bit, I'm looking after it for one of my daughters and it is okay for short journeys, and maybe even longer ones if I chose not to use my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, or my February 2011 S4 330+PS. (horses for courses)
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

RUM4MO wrote:I agree with what you say about the 1.4 86ps, but it is a reliable engine and very suited to what use you put a car to. Economy is not too bad and the road tax is a lot better than the £500 I pay for my S4!!!

Edit:- to be quite honest, I don't think that a turbo charged petrol engine will "enjoy" or be at its best over the usage that you have outlined, so you might be back to paying more on repairs than on a 1.4 86PS engine car.

Another Edit:- I tend to use a late 2009 1.4 16V 86PS Ibiza quite a bit, I'm looking after it for one of my daughters and it is okay for short journeys, and maybe even longer ones if I chose not to use my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, or my February 2011 S4 330+PS. (horses for courses)

Yes I can only really get 40-45mpg out of it anyway... far off the 62mpg it suggests and only 350-400 miles to a tank, I think something might be wrong with it! I think il start looking seriously within a year or two into what I get next.

Was excited about the recently announced Up GTI next year as that sounds like a load of fun! But a bit worried it might be a bit over strained like the 1.4 6R engine was with 180+bhp. It's only expected to be around 115bhp but still a lot for a 1.0 car that originally had 60bhp.... Maybe il look at a 1.8 6C GTI if funds are available at the time...!!! And if insurance allows as I'm only 18....

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I would hope/guess that VW would not make that silly mistake again, ie twincharger engine based on a not too good basic engine range, which brought about the destruction of too many! I'd expect that the UP etc and Polo etc 1.0 3 cylinder engines are all based round the same base design, initially I was concerned about 110PS from that engine so as glad that I managed to order up a factory build 1.2 4 cylinder 110PS - but so far so good it seems, so another 5PS should not cause that much more risk - time will tell!
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

RUM4MO wrote:I would hope/guess that VW would not make that silly mistake again, ie twincharger engine based on a not too good basic engine range, which brought about the destruction of too many! I'd expect that the UP etc and Polo etc 1.0 3 cylinder engines are all based round the same base design, initially I was concerned about 110PS from that engine so as glad that I managed to order up a factory build 1.2 4 cylinder 110PS - but so far so good it seems, so another 5PS should not cause that much more risk - time will tell!
I'm sure they've learnt from that failure of an engine! Such a shame, I was excited about the 6R GTI as there are some for dirt cheap now 7-8k, So only a 1k more than my TDI. Was very tempted to get one but thank god i did some research.... and no wonder they were going so cheap!