Buying a Polo - Can you guys help?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
L880NN
New
Drives: Polo

Buying a Polo - Can you guys help?

Post by L880NN »

Hi All,

I have a budget of 7k max. If I can get a decent polo for 6k with 1k spare to mod then I would be happy.

I have been reading most of the morning, but I need your guys knowledge and expertise as I don't know a lot about engines, all the variations and models of the polos that are available on the market.

Ideally, I would like a new shaped polo with the sport R bumpers I believe they are called (will mod if needed), a reliable engine, 40k max. I have read that the 1.4 Turbo engine has had some problems? Ideally want to get 1.2 - 1.4 engine, ideally the latter, but if the 1.2 engines are more reliable then I would settle for that?

What are your guys thoughts on the advising on the above? Can you point a complete novice in the right direction?

Hoping to be an active member of the community. Thanks for all the threads so far, I have really enjoyed the pics!

Cheers,

Leighton
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Buying a Polo - Can you guys help?

Post by iichel »

The sports package is called the 'R-Line' package.
It is a set of bumpers, boot spoiler, grill, exhaust tip and rims for the exterior package.
The interior package consists of sports seats, steering wheel, decorative trims in glossy black and a black roofliner.
There are no upgrades or changes to the engine with the R-Line package.

I must admit that the R-Line package looks very good. It's delivered with a comfortline or highline package in the EU, corresponding to a SE resp. SEL package in the UK.
It was delivered from MY2012.

The 1.4 N/A engine is very reliable but does not come from factory with the R-Line package since the 1.4 N/A engine was discontinued in MY2012.
The 1.2 N/A engine is also very reliable but also doesn't come after MY2011.

The 1.2 turbocharged petrol engine (TSI) is not a bad engine either. Sometimes it has some issue with the timing chain (and hydraulic chain tensioners). You'll hear it on a cold start sometimes. In some extreme cases, it will lead to misfires but the most of them will run just fine.

The 1.4 turbocharged and supercharged (twincharged) petrol engine is only sold in the Polo GTI with engine code CAVE (MY2010, 2011) and CTHE (2012-2014). It's not the best engine coming from VW, but probably also out of your budget anyway.

The 1.4 turbocharged petrol engine with active cylinder technologies (ACT) is sold in the Polo Blue GT from MY2013, that will probably also be out of your budget. The Polo Blue GT has many styling elements that also are in the GTI (bumpers, spoiler, instrument cluster, headliner).

I would aim for an early 2012 1.2TSI, if you want the R-Line package. I'm afraid 6K GBP will not get you many extras, if any at all. Keep this in mind. 6K for a good Polo 6R is... ambitious ;)
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

iichel wrote:The 1.2 turbocharged petrol engine (TSI) is not a bad engine either. Sometimes it has some issue with the timing chain (and hydraulic chain tensioners). You'll hear it on a cold start sometimes. In some extreme cases, it will lead to misfires but the most of them will run just fine.
Hey! Sorry to jump in, I have the 1.2TSI from 2011. In some occasions, when I start the car, I get a loud roar and then slows down to sound like its an old diesel engine.. but after a few yards, it quietens down.. i am also experiencing misfiring under acceleration around 1800 to 2000rpm.

From the quote above, is this what you are referring to? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
iichel

Post by iichel »

yes, timing chain issues. In the Netherlands, many times this issue was covered by the warranty. A new timing chain and hydraulic chain tensioners were installed.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I'm well out if my warrenty now but will investigate.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Chrispy, just be very aware that VW group, or at least Skoda, who built all these engines, did come up with a few failed attempts at sorting this out - and I think, eventually revised that engine from maybe 2012MY onwards (roughly), any fixes rolled out by VW group on the early engines only improved things for a limited period. There is someone from Italy, who I don't think is on this forum, worked out exactly what parts would be needed to sort this out on an early 1.2TSI engine, and sorted out his engine by using these parts. The reason why VW group dealers were never allowed to fit these parts to an early engine would be down to them trying to limit the spend on warranty repairs!!

This has all been discussed in the past many times, maybe use search on this forum as well as setting up an account on other VW group marque forums and search on them.

The only reason that I know about this is that I became an "interested observer" in any problems these engines were having prior to buying my wife a new 1.2TSI Polo in August 2015 - though by then, VW group had cut their losses on these engines and moved onto the belt driven series which are still in production.
iichel

Post by iichel »

The 1.2 TSI in the wifey's car, a Polo 6C MY2016, is a fairly different little species from the 1.2 TSI in the Polo 6R ;)
The capacity is about the same, 1199cc, but apart from that the engine is very different.
L880NN
New

Post by L880NN »

Hi guys,

So these timing issues with the 1.2 TSI is with all of them pre 2012?

Or was it fixed at 2012?

Can anyone else add insight into what parts would need to completely solve this timing issue? already thinking a different engine might be the route to go?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel wrote:The 1.2 TSI in the wifey's car, a Polo 6C MY2016, is a fairly different little species from the 1.2 TSI in the Polo 6R ;)
The capacity is about the same, 1199cc, but apart from that the engine is very different.
Oh yes, back to 16V and belt driven camshaft and the inlet and exhaust seemed to have been swopped round! So far so good for these engines, only needed to get VW to replace the EVAP pipe to quieten down things, maybe your wife's Polo came with that newer flexible rubber pipe as per the 1.0TSI and newer 1.4tsi, as opposed to a hard ribbed plastic pipe.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

L880NN wrote:Hi guys,

So these timing issues with the 1.2 TSI is with all of them pre 2012?

Or was it fixed at 2012?

Can anyone else add insight into what parts would need to completely solve this timing issue? already thinking a different engine might be the route to go?
If you are serious about buying one of these cars, you would need to do your homework and find out what the original engine code was for the two 1.2TSI and the code for the later modified/updated version of that same basic engine, and then only consider cars with the later engine code - if possible for that money.
L880NN
New

Post by L880NN »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the support. looks like I will have to save a bit more cash to get the later engine code.

I will give VW a call to discuss the engine codes.

Many thanks,

Leighton
iichel

Post by iichel »

The engine code will probably not help so much, unfortunately.

1.2 TSI 90 bhp from 2009 - 2014 is CBCZ
1.2 TSI 105 bhp from 2011 - 2014 is CBZB

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Polo_V ... .932014.29
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh, L880NN, it looks like I've handed out some mis-information, from my reading about this, I thought that VW group had changed the engines codes (slightly) when they implemented these final major changes, sounds like that did not happen!

Edit:- so now it could be down to checking through an on-line VW parts listing to find out when these changes happened, ie at what engine number - normally there will be a rough guide as to which chassis number range of cars this happened.

Later today/tomorrow I'll try to find the source of my information and see if it makes things any easier to work with.

I can't see any VW dealer being clever/willing enough to help you out with that information, but you can but try!
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

Hello Leighton if you're saving a bit more money have you considered the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder TSI
Really impressed with mine it's quiet and pulls well with 110PS (this has replaced the 1.2 in the SEL model)

Review below makes interesting reading (It's not the Polo but has the same engine)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/06 ... -golf.html
L880NN
New

Post by L880NN »

Derkie,

thanks for bringing that option to the table, just looked at the stats:

1.0 TSI BlueMotion 999 cc (61 cu in) 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) at 5,000-5,500 rpm 200 N·m (148 lb·ft) at 2,000–3,500 rpm 9.7 s 204 km/h (127 mph) 6-speed manual

1.2 TSI BlueMotion 1,197 cc (73 cu in) 105 PS (77 kW; 104 hp) at 5,000 rpm 175 N·m (129 lb·ft) at 1,550–4,100 rpm 10.2 s 192 km/h (119 mph) 6-speed manual
7-speed DSG (optional)

Definitely considering the 1.0 now.

Question, can you remove the blue motion grill? an aesthetic that would need to go for me....

Many thanks for all the support guys.

Leighton