Winter Tyres V Michelin Cross Climates

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Winter Tyres V Michelin Cross Climates

Post by derkie54 »

I used winter tyres on my previous car and now we've had a bit more of the white stuff I'm thinking of getting some steel wheels and winter tyres for the Polo.
Anyone had experience of Michelin Cross Climates (which would save me a set of rims) or is it a case of dedicated winter tyres are best.
We don't get that much snow in Gloucestershire but I live at the top of a hill and any snow can make it a treacherous drive on non gritted hilly side roads.
My alloys are 215/45 R16 H if I do get some steel wheels would it be better to get a smaller wheel (15" and possibly narrower)for the snow.

And while I'm posting.........Merry Christmas to all the forum members out there. :D
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Winter Tyres V Michelin Cross Climates

Post by RUM4MO »

I suppose that you already know the answer to this, winter tyres are best for winter use, all season tyres are okay in winter and okay in summer, summer tyres are best for summer use.

I bought a set of used VW 15" Alloys, the ones with 7 spokes 6J X 15H2 ET40 Borbet Riverside and fitted a set of Michelin Alpin 185/60 X 15 88T and they work very well in winter, as my wife's Polo is a 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, it has the 288mm front discs and these VW alloys clear them okay - which was my main worry. These wheels turn up on ebay quite often, I think that for the UK market they might have had another name other than Riverside, but it is normally from Germany that they are coming from second hand.

If you were a bit vain, I think that you could get away quite easily with using these wheels with 195/55 or 195/60 X 15 winter tyres, though that would cost a bit more.

Edit:- sorry, Merry Christmas to you also! (obviously my wife's car came with the same size of wheels/tyres as your car did)

Another Edit:- when I first bought winter tyres for my wife's previous Polo, I ordered a set of 15 steels fitted with Michelin Alipins in from Germany via "mytyres" - in that case, I ordered in a set of 5 wheels and tyres, luckily this Polo that my wife has 16" alloys and 15" steel spare, so no need to order in a set of 5 this time!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Winter Tyres V Michelin Cross Climates

Post by alexperkins »

I have cross climates on my tiguan, and they are truly excellent. Coped with 6 inches of snow with no issue (its only FWD too)