Cheap cars near 1 September 2018?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Cheap cars near 1 September 2018?

Post by Leif »

While waiting to have a filling at the dentist's today, I read a story in a car mag, they say there may be lots of cheap cars on the market in the weeks leading up to 1 September as dealers try to clear out unregistered cars that do not comply with the new emissions regs. So if anyone is not too fussy about the exact spec ... Not sure if this is reliable information, and if it only applies to models that do not sell so well. This could be why VW were prepared to shut a factory for so long, to avoid having to sell a glut of non compliant cars at silly prices.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: Cheap cars near 1 September 2018?

Post by Dan34 »

I imagine the dealers would just pre-register them if they weren't sold before September. Which will in turn make them a little bit cheaper but don't think the prices would be crazy cheap.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

There will be lots of pre-registered cars on 18 plate, and nothing new for 68 plate until Oct/Nov due to most manufacturers leaving WLTP cpmpliance to the last minute.

Just had the dealer on the phone explaining that my new Polo has to be registered by Aug 15th. All VW cars made up to BW26 must be registered on an 18 plate by Aug 15th or crushed (no way that will happen rather than pre-registering). So all unsold stock needs to be pre-registered and therefore sold as second hand stock.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm This could be why VW were prepared to shut a factory for so long, to avoid having to sell a glut of non compliant cars at silly prices.
According to the BBC, VW have admitted they can’t cope with the new emissions tests and the main factory in Wolfsburg (Golf production plant) will be subjected to temporary shutdowns later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44383226

So if Wolfsburg can’t cope, there’s a fair chance other VW plants can’t either. As suspected by forum members, struggling to comply with the new WLTP emissions standards is probably one of the factors accounting for the temporary closure of the Uitenhage factory.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Dan34 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm I imagine the dealers would just pre-register them if they weren't sold before September. Which will in turn make them a little bit cheaper but don't think the prices would be crazy cheap.
Indeed. But would they want a glut of secondhand cars?
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

They have know about the WLTP for a considerable time, just cant believe they have left it so late to comply....?!?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You have got to wonder if some businesses like VW Group, think or feel that they are too big to be get a smack on the hand for not bothering to comply.
Remember when the FGAS folk banned the use of R134A in new cars because it had been replaced by 1234, the fridge industry messed up and let the road vehicle industry down, so concessions were handed out until things got sorted out in a useable way.

I've forgotten who funds the creation of new test teams, so maybe slots for testing before compliance date are few and far between?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Another article (this one from Autocar) on the impact of WLTP on car production;

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... ion-delays

Some other manufacturers are also having to halt the production of certain models due to delays over WLTP certification.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm
Dan34 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm I imagine the dealers would just pre-register them if they weren't sold before September. Which will in turn make them a little bit cheaper but don't think the prices would be crazy cheap.
There will be no glut with the "Polo event" currently happening to sell all unallocated built cars coming through. They dont have to register the cars immediately, so as long as they get a buyer to buy stock before the deadline to pre-register then those cars will be sold as new. Those unsold will be sold later as pre-registered (effectively second hand).
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:10 am
Leif wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm
There will be no glut with the "Polo event" currently happening to sell all unallocated built cars coming through. They dont have to register the cars immediately, so as long as they get a buyer to buy stock before the deadline to pre-register then those cars will be sold as new. Those unsold will be sold later as pre-registered (effectively second hand).
You are assuming that sales are brisk. And what is this 'Polo event'? What makes you think they will shift lots of stock without big discounts? Ah okay I've Googled it and it appears to be some small perks such as £500 off with PCP, free insurance for one year and 2 free services. That's not exactly generous is it? I got £2,000 off my 95 SE Polo. I recently heard of one chap who got 30% off a new model Skoda Fabia.

I guess we just need to wait, and one of us will be sticking their tongue out at the other come September. :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

The local SEAT dealer is advertising on local radio in that modern 'mass of information but too fast to make out what they are saying' style about discounts on pre-registered Leons but mostly Ibizas. Prob capture a few potential Polo owners not happy with a long wait....
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm The local SEAT dealer is advertising on local radio in that modern 'mass of information but too fast to make out what they are saying' style about discounts on pre-registered Leons but mostly Ibizas. Prob capture a few potential Polo owners not happy with a long wait....
That would suit my daughter, though I don't know if a new car is in her mind right now, if it was, it would solve the sudden paint bubbling at each side and some brake/suspension issues that she is having - but can't get me have the car to fully examine it, it is still safe, it is just that I can't replicate the faults she is noticing, car is a late 2009 Ibiza so sounds like a good time for her to do something car wise.

Anyway, all these cheaper car will not be available until everyone waiting on a "proper" new car to order, has had their delivery, they will be busy buzzing around as FOC hire cars, being well exercised!?
Wetherfell
New
Drives: None at present

Post by Wetherfell »

Just got an email from the local Skoda dealer offering new cars at cost +£1 if registered this month.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Your definition of cost and theirs (for marketing purposes are 2 different things. It will be the cost they get cars at before all their volume and customer satisfaction discounts. VW dealerships buy at only 5% off RRP before these discounts are given.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

And 'a little bird' told me for selling such and such many cars (actual figure unknown) whether 'actual sales' or rentals, dealers are given a car - free of charrge - to sell for 100% profit....