new A1 2.0 litre engine doesn't impress

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

new A1 2.0 litre engine doesn't impress

Post by albob »

Auto express have driven the new Audi A1. they aren't impressed with the 2.0 litre version - hope that doesn't have implications for Polo Gti post WLTP...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a1/1 ... 018-review
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: new A1 2.0 litre engine doesn't impress

Post by monkeyhanger »

It does puzzle me why VAG continue to manufacture the 6 speed wet clutch DSG when the 7 speed is noticeably better. The 7 speed box has been available since at least the Golf 7 facelift in 2016, where it was used on the GTI PP and R, but not the standard GTI (which retained the 6 speed box) - and VW didn't charge any more for DSG vs manual on the PP or R for having the 7 speed box.

The ratios don't seem ideal for the Polo GTI - 4th, 5th and 6th are very tall gears with not much inbetween them. That makes it relatively good for economy at motorway speeds (averaging 43mpg to maintain 80mph on the motorway sections of a 100 mile journey), but around the doors on shorter journeys with mixed roads my manual Golf R is slightly more economical as it has more torque and 5th/6th ratios are ideal for 30-40mph driving.

That 7th gear to spread things out better 3rd to 5th would undoubtedly improve urban economy.

Apart from the rear sweeping indicators, there seems nothing to distinguish the A1 as the premium product over the Polo - the interior is the same standard, no better door cards, no more rubbery/soft plastics anywhere and the minimalist approach to infotainment is now gone in favour of the Polo option.

The standard equipment level has shot up for the A1, but the new model costs a hell of a lot more than the outgoing one - so you are paying for it.

Like the Polo GTI , the A1 40 (2.0TSI).is lambasted for it's grown up approach rather than being a 17 year old boy racer's dream. Seems that for the Golf GTI, it is praised for being a comfy jack of all trades but a size smaller and they expect the car to be a rough rollercoaster ride. Power delivery is pretty linear now, so you don't get that kick in the back when you put your foot down.

The 2.0TSI A1 has no identity - it's not an S1 or a Polo GTI, it's an anonymous trim level.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I scanned that article quickly while my wife was shopping yesterday, and conveniently missed the bit about the 2.0TFSI engine not providing the expected "go"!

Is it not just the "race to the bottom" to is causing all these marques of cars to almost merge into being "the same" - so much is offered for non premium car buyers so makers like VW Group need to match that, while only so much extra "treats" are available to add to the in this case Audi to keep it above VW.

I'd still like to think that my wife's next Polo will have the 1.5TSI engine with roughly 135>155PS - maybe I am dreaming of the impossible as it took VW far too long to include the "old tech" 1.6FSI engine into the 9N0/9N3 - and even then it was only available coupled to an autobox, so we just waited a bit longer running the horrid 1.4 16V 75PS Polo that I accidently burdened her with running!
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Top gear wasn't a fan either https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/audi/a1-0

The engine availability across the polo Ibiza & A1 is poor

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Having a decent equipment spec and a huge basic differential between the Audi and VW on the same platform is new for Audi - not sure how that will work for them in looking good value for money.

The old A1 looked quite competitive against the old Polo at standard spec. The A1 came with next to nowt it's peers would have as standard, so you're talking a minimum of £1500 to get things like aircon, multifunction steering wheel, auto lights and wipers. That's where Audi used to make up the differential.

Same story with the S3 vs Golf R - only £400 between them last time I looked, the S3 gets flashy leather Sports seats and the R gets all the equipment).

Now the new A1 looks massively more expensive than the Polo, and doesn't look any more premium for it when comparing to a well equipped as standard Polo like the SEL or GTI+, except those sweeping indicators.

I'd expect sweeping indicators to be showing up for the Polo at facelift, along with a revised bonnet/grille meet to get rid of that strip bonnet extension.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Some new buses and trucks appearing with the dynamic indicators, though I thought that DOT regs might not have been updated yet to make them fully compliant.

Polo SEL, my wife has a previous model SEL and I've not checked the current SEL Polo specs, but I was less than impressed with the standard seating fitted to SELs, for that version of Polo same as SE! My daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V SC and it has what I would call "mild sports" seating for the front seats - having a set of these in what VW could have called SEL level covering trim would have been more in fitting than what VW used in these SEL Polos.

Edit:- but I did encourage the purchase of that Polo in SEL trim as it included most of the bits I expect my wife's car to have, then added the missing ones as factory options.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

But you do get a roof mounted hand grab in the A1 , which obviously explains the price difference👎
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 pm But you do get a roof mounted hand grab in the A1 , which obviously explains the price difference👎
Yes it does! 😯 You can see it in the picture at the link below;

https://www.caricos.com/cars/a/audi/201 ... es/13.html

In the same picture, in the interior where the Polo has that little bare painted metal section in the bottom corner of the window on the rear doors, it looks as if the A1 has a piece of black plastic trim covering it. That must account for £2.99 of the price differential 😂.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I see from that picture does not get a rear grab handle - from what you guys are saying it sounds like VW have left off the driver's side front grab handle, is that correct, what a great saving - not! My daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC does not have a driver's side grab handle, though SEATs are cheaper versions of VW Group products supposedly grouped alongside Audi for marketing reasons - like VW is grouped alongside Skoda.

There is also a small area of the rear doors in 6C Polo that has been left just painted metal when sticking a piece of plastic to cover it would have made a difference - maybe even the upper area of the tail gate! Now maybe I'm too old, but very little here seems to have changed in customer's expectations, I bought my wife a slightly used Ford Fiesta 1.1L - a "C" reg back in 1987 and after being in it a few times, I went to my Ford dealer and ordered in some trim panels from the GL or Ghia to cover these bare metal areas including the C frames, and that made it look a lot better - so here we are in 2018, 32 years later, and VW Polo in even SEL trim is being pushed out with areas of painted metal showing inside the cabin, progress?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Pretty certain the latest Polo doesn’t have any grab handles and bare painted metal area in the interior at the bottom corner of the rear windows has been carried over from the 6c Polo.

The little spring loaded cover in the hatch sill that covers the locking catch in the 6c Polo isn’t fitted in the latest Polo, nor is it fitted in the T-Roc, and presumably not fitted in the Polo-based T-Cross either. No soft touch plastics in the T-Roc interior either - the dash top is hard plastic as well as the door cards. From reports I’ve read on the T-Cross, it also gets a hard scratchy plastic interior. Penny pinching by VW, no doubt dictated by the bean counters at VW headquarters.

When I bought my mk4 Golf, the interior had a premium feel and was a step up from the interiors in the likes of the Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra. Sadly, IMO VW interiors have lost that premium feel.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Can those 'sweeping' indicators be switched off?
I've had several Audis in the recent past, I wouldn't even consider another one if those ridiculous things can't be switched off.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I love the lack of grab handles on the Polo.

Whenever my mate Dave catches a lift in any car with them, he has his chunky arm hanging off the front passenger side, blocking my view when in the Golf. He was very fidgety when he got a lift in the Polo and didn't have anywhere to put his left hand!

Similarly, when out in the Golf, our almost 4 year old can reach the grab handle in the back and use it to yank herself out of her child seat. In the Polo she can't. Good riddance!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Seat Arona don't have grab handles either, it's a money saving thing.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Grab handles are a perfectly fair thing for them to decide aren't needed any more, they must be one of the most seldom used items.
They're a relic from when seats were made of slidey plastic, they had no shape to them to hold you in and no-one wore seatbelts.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:28 pm I love the lack of grab handles on the Polo.

Whenever my mate Dave catches a lift in any car with them, he has his chunky arm hanging off the front passenger side, blocking my view when in the Golf. He was very fidgety when he got a lift in the Polo and didn't have anywhere to put his left hand!

Similarly, when out in the Golf, our almost 4 year old can reach the grab handle in the back and use it to yank herself out of her child seat. In the Polo she can't. Good riddance!
Conversely I loved the front driver's side grab handle on the previous Polo - but only as I could remove it and fit a previous model of Golf sunglasses storage bin in its place - same hole pitch! Very annoying not having a sunglasses storage bin within reach, yes I know previous Polo had it in the glove box, but that is a bit of a reach when you are driving, the similar Skoda Fabia had that as an option, but I seem to remember it made the interior monitoring sensors look like what you would see in a 1980's car, so I did not bother retro fitting one to my wife's 2015 6C Polo.