New Polo SEL

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ashleyman
New
Drives: Car

New Polo SEL

Post by ashleyman »

Been lurking for a few weeks reading up on all the topics on here!

The wife was looking for a new car and over the past week we've been visiting different dealers and trying different vehicles. She was torn between the Polo, A1 & Hyundai i20. But in the end the Polo prevailed. :mrgreen:

Originally she wanted a SE DSG but found the 95 to be a little underpowered - she was daily driving my Golf R before I sold it. In the end she's decided to go ahead with a Polo SEL with the 115ps engine and DSG gearbox in Reflex Silver - no other options but they seem to come with enough of the basics anyway. We would have liked the AID, dark 17" wheels and cruise control but we're trying to get something asap to beat the price rise and unknowns surrounding the Brexit import tariffs. I'll add the AID at a later date and the smaller wheels mean cheaper tyres so thats a half win I suppose!

I found a Carwow? review video this evening that says you get the Beats hi-fi system in the SEL. No mention of this in the VW brochure, the video also said you get full cruise in the SEL but again, the brochure doesn't mention it. I guess we'll see when the car turns up.

Spent most of today phoning dealers trying to find a brand new stock car that was within budget that wasn't black. Got lucky with the car and think I got her a great deal with 17% off list and it should be ready in 10 days.

Have bought her a numberplate as a surprise for when she takes the covers off. I'm a bit of a detailing enthusiast so have ordered the ceramic coating and glass coating to sort for her when she take's delivery. I'm sure she'll want the windows tinted so that will happen at some stage.

I just have 2 questions:

Does anyone know if the SEL has LED rear tail lights or if they are standard bulbs.
Also, what tyres can we expect on the 16" alloys?

I'll post photos when we go to collect. Look forward to posting on here in the future!

Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: New Polo SEL

Post by Adam_013 »

The 16' alloys I have on my beats are Falkens.
The rear lamps I believe are bulbs, they are only LED as standard on the R-Line and GTI?

I also think I'm right in saying the beats sound system is an option. I know this is true in the up and the T-Roc so I imagine the same with the Polo.

If you nosey around here somewhere, someone retrofitted the AID of you would like it. I would link it but I have no idea on doing that [emoji23].

Out of interest, what sort of ceramic coating are you going to be opting for? I've been debating doing it myself to try and make my life easier with my black beats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@ashleyman; Beats audio is only standard on the Polo Beats model and an extra cost option on the GTI and GTI+ models. It’s not available as a factory fit option on other models in the Polo range. Surprisingly, cruise control seems to be an option across the entire Polo range, with the exception of the GTI+ which gets adaptive cruise control as standard. The SEL doesn’t have LED rear lights as standard (GTI / GTI+ models do get them as standard); to get them on the SEL you have to spec the LED headlamp option.

As for tyres; a quick look at the photos of nearly new Polo SEL’s for sale in the Used Cars section on VW’s website, it seems that VW are currently fitting Falken tyres, although I dare say if they get a better deal with other tyre manufacturers or there is a supply issue, this could change.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

The Polo's found in my dealer have continental tyres to most of them. When I took mine to ATS for tracking they said VW usually use Dunlop.

All I know is the Falkens performance in the wet is shocking.

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Customer reviews from tyre reviews.co.uk website of the Falken ZIEX ZE914, which I think is the tyre fitted on the Polo;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falke ... EcoRun.htm
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The SEL does have a speed limiter (like every other Polo), which might be why that review mentions cruise as it's the same buttons as cruise. I have a limiter in my Fabia, and it's great. I use it kind of as cruise on the motorway, and use it all the time around town- just set it at 30, and ignore the speedo completely. I'm hoping my new Ibiza has a limiter when it arrives- some cars with ACC have it, and I've seen it on some Ibizas, but also know some new Fabias with ACC don't have it!

Having said that, I'd still be investigating adding cruise aftermarket! I believe it's pretty easily doable- just a matter of replacing the stalk and some programming. Might be worth speaking with your local dealer or having a look online.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

ashleyman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 pm Been lurking for a few weeks reading up on all the topics on here!

The wife was looking for a new car and over the past week we've been visiting different dealers and trying different vehicles. She was torn between the Polo, A1 & Hyundai i20. But in the end the Polo prevailed. :mrgreen:

Originally she wanted a SE DSG but found the 95 to be a little underpowered - she was daily driving my Golf R before I sold it. In the end she's decided to go ahead with a Polo SEL with the 115ps engine and DSG gearbox in Reflex Silver - no other options but they seem to come with enough of the basics anyway. We would have liked the AID, dark 17" wheels and cruise control but we're trying to get something asap to beat the price rise and unknowns surrounding the Brexit import tariffs. I'll add the AID at a later date and the smaller wheels mean cheaper tyres so thats a half win I suppose!

I found a Carwow? review video this evening that says you get the Beats hi-fi system in the SEL. No mention of this in the VW brochure, the video also said you get full cruise in the SEL but again, the brochure doesn't mention it. I guess we'll see when the car turns up.

Spent most of today phoning dealers trying to find a brand new stock car that was within budget that wasn't black. Got lucky with the car and think I got her a great deal with 17% off list and it should be ready in 10 days.

Have bought her a numberplate as a surprise for when she takes the covers off. I'm a bit of a detailing enthusiast so have ordered the ceramic coating and glass coating to sort for her when she take's delivery. I'm sure she'll want the windows tinted so that will happen at some stage.

I just have 2 questions:

Does anyone know if the SEL has LED rear tail lights or if they are standard bulbs.
Also, what tyres can we expect on the 16" alloys?

I'll post photos when we go to collect. Look forward to posting on here in the future!

HI I have a new style SEL 115 DSG. have been driving it for a while and got it to 10k miles now. I ordered adaptive cruise control as an extra and its brilliant. you get standard cruise on the SEL otherwise. I got Falken tyres on the std 16" wheels. not had a problem with them at all. I was worried about them and was going to change them out but I thought I would give them a few miles and sure enough no issues. I live on the south cost though and we really don't get very much winter here.

I don't think the sound system is beats because I have a full size spare wheel (I say full size its steel and 15") I think that is where the SW is in the beats car.

If its any help I love the car goes well in sport mode.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

As said above, the sub is located under the boot floor, however to the left therefore leaving space for a spare wheel.

It looks like a long rectangle with a plug going into it.

ashleyman
New
Drives: Car

Post by ashleyman »

Adam_013 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 am The 16' alloys I have on my beats are Falkens.
The rear lamps I believe are bulbs, they are only LED as standard on the R-Line and GTI?

I also think I'm right in saying the beats sound system is an option. I know this is true in the up and the T-Roc so I imagine the same with the Polo.

If you nosey around here somewhere, someone retrofitted the AID of you would like it. I would link it but I have no idea on doing that [emoji23].

Out of interest, what sort of ceramic coating are you going to be opting for? I've been debating doing it myself to try and make my life easier with my black beats.
I'd highly recommend a ceramic coatings on a black car, it makes a huge difference. The troublesome and expensive part is getting the paint prepared to apply the coating. Actual application is the easy bit.
Personally, I use and would recommend the Gyeon brand. 2 coats of Q2 Rim for the wheels, 2 coats of Q2 View for the glass and then a proper ceramic like Mohs for the paint. As I said, you’ll need to fully de-contaminate and prep the paint first so if you’re not sure what to do with that or don't have the products already it's probably easier and more cost effective to go to a detailer. I’m only planning to do this Polo myself because I have lots of products already.

The Q2 Rim makes wheels super easy to clean and a ceramic on the paint will make the paint less susceptible to swirls and marring and make the car easier to clean. Some ceramics also offer more gloss and keep the paint slick meaning they stay cleaner for longer.

SRGTD wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:31 am @ashleyman; Beats audio is only standard on the Polo Beats model and an extra cost option on the GTI and GTI+ models. It’s not available as a factory fit option on other models in the Polo range. Surprisingly, cruise control seems to be an option across the entire Polo range, with the exception of the GTI+ which gets adaptive cruise control as standard. The SEL doesn’t have LED rear lights as standard (GTI / GTI+ models do get them as standard); to get them on the SEL you have to spec the LED headlamp option.

As for tyres; a quick look at the photos of nearly new Polo SEL’s for sale in the Used Cars section on VW’s website, it seems that VW are currently fitting Falken tyres, although I dare say if they get a better deal with other tyre manufacturers or there is a supply issue, this could change.
This is my understanding too. It looks like Beats is only an option in the GTI & GTI+ and not available at all on SE, R Line or SEL cars.
Adam_013 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:41 am The Polo's found in my dealer have continental tyres to most of them. When I took mine to ATS for tracking they said VW usually use Dunlop.

All I know is the Falkens performance in the wet is shocking.

Thanks for this. Hopefully we have a somewhat dry spring/summer and I can then swap to proper winters later in the year. Although we live in London and don't get much harsh weather, I like to know the car is as safe as possible for the wife.
vc-10 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:24 pm The SEL does have a speed limiter (like every other Polo), which might be why that review mentions cruise as it's the same buttons as cruise. I have a limiter in my Fabia, and it's great. I use it kind of as cruise on the motorway, and use it all the time around town- just set it at 30, and ignore the speedo completely. I'm hoping my new Ibiza has a limiter when it arrives- some cars with ACC have it, and I've seen it on some Ibizas, but also know some new Fabias with ACC don't have it!

Having said that, I'd still be investigating adding cruise aftermarket! I believe it's pretty easily doable- just a matter of replacing the stalk and some programming. Might be worth speaking with your local dealer or having a look online.
Yeah, we had ACC and Speed Limiter on the Golf R and it was all very good tech, the Speed Limiter is especially handy for average speed zones. Not too bothered about cruise on this car as it will only be getting 1 or 2 long drives a year.
mike sel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:49 pm HI I have a new style SEL 115 DSG. have been driving it for a while and got it to 10k miles now. I ordered adaptive cruise control as an extra and its brilliant. you get standard cruise on the SEL otherwise. I got Falken tyres on the std 16" wheels. not had a problem with them at all. I was worried about them and was going to change them out but I thought I would give them a few miles and sure enough no issues. I live on the south cost though and we really don't get very much winter here.

I don't think the sound system is beats because I have a full size spare wheel (I say full size its steel and 15") I think that is where the SW is in the beats car.

If its any help I love the car goes well in sport mode.
Standard Cruise? As in, set the speed and it'll keep that speed on it's own without my input, or set the speed limiter and keep your foot down? I can't find any reference to the SEL having cruise as standard, only speed limiter. Looking at photos of SEL steering wheels, not all have the cruise controls on the left side, or are these controls on a stalk as it's not ACC?

Usually with VW & Audi, the SQ will go inside the spare. That's how it was on the DynAudio system on the Golf R and looking at photos of both kits, they look identical just different brands.

Pleased to hear the goes well in S. The 95HP I drove was a bit weezy but then I've been used to 370ps in the Golf R and 450ps in the M4 so it's to be expected really. :lol:
Adam_013 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:16 pm As said above, the sub is located under the boot floor, however to the left therefore leaving space for a spare wheel.

It looks like a long rectangle with a plug going into it.

Sounds like a different set up than the DynAudio system where the sub sits inside the spare wheel.

We're aiming to pick up on Thursday now. So not long to go. She's very excited, I would be too if she hadn't said she wants me to drive it home for her (70 miles) so it means 2 hours on the train + a taxi instead of the standard hour blast down the M20. Oh well. So long as she's happy! :mrgreen: