Heat issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
K2406
New
Drives: 2018 Polo

Heat issue

Post by K2406 »

After driving the car for a couple of hours the car gets hot even if the temperature is set to cold and it’s 11°. I have to open the windows or air conditioning to cool the car. Does anyone else experience this?
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Re: Heat issue

Post by gegege »

Hi,

I reckon the air circulation was "off" - meaning air from outside was coming to the car.
This air that comes through the engine is warmed up and is warming the inside car.
Try next time to put it "on" (inside circulation) and see if you have again this inside heating.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

gegege wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:13 am Hi,

I reckon the air circulation was "off" - meaning air from outside was coming to the car.
This air that comes through the engine is warmed up and is warming the inside car.
Try next time to put it "on" (inside circulation) and see if you have again this inside heating.
Air is always coming into the car in air circulation mode - just less of it. If it wasn't, you'd be dead or brain damaged as soon as the CO2 level rose above 4% due to you inhaling oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide. If the cabin is heating up and you've got the temp dual set to cold with ambient temp of 11C, you've either got a greenhouse effect going on if it's a sunny day, or the car has a fault in heating when not required. Does the aircon work?
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

K2406 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 pm After driving the car for a couple of hours the car gets hot even if the temperature is set to cold and it’s 11°. I have to open the windows or air conditioning to cool the car. Does anyone else experience this?
Does your car have standard heat controls or climate? If standard then it isn't thermostatically controlled and you will have to lower the heat as the car warms up inside, also advisable to have all vents open.

If you have climate control and it is set to auto with the vents open then the car should maintain a steady temp and if it isn't you should take it to the dealers.

A thought, if you don't have climate control in your Polo did your previous car have it and thus you are used to not having to manually regulate the temp in the car? :?:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Griff74, my interpretation of the opening posting was that even with the cabin air temperature set lowish, and the AC (chiller) off, the air discharging into the cabin was too warm/hot even although the outside ambient was 10C or so - now if that is what is happening, a failed temperature control flap motor would allow that to happen.

More info or comments on our postings required from the OP I think.
K2406
New
Drives: 2018 Polo

Post by K2406 »

Yes the temperature set to cold and the fun is on number 2 but it’s warm inside the car even it’s 11* outside, if I’m on the motorway I have to use AC, (it’s not climate control)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Even although I wrote that previous posting based on what I thought at the time, I now have trouble trying to see how switching on the chiller would pull the "wrong delivery temperature air" down as the cabin temperature will be getting monitored in the cabin, so if a temperature flap motor was to blame the air blend would still be wrong as the only way that the cabin air is controlled is by allowed water through the heater matrix all the time then blending heater heated air with either outside air unchilled if the chiller is disabled (AC off in your case) or with chilled air passing over the chiller matrix (evaporator) and that is automatically controlled to balance supply with demand.

Maybe a flap seal has fallen off and so passing too much heated air - though unless the cabin temperature is really crude on that car, in as much as the control of the cabin temperature is not calibrated and so you just alter the hot>cold to suit the outside conditions and what temperature you want inside the car. It can't be rocket science, can it?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

K2406 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm Yes the temperature set to cold and the fun is on number 2 but it’s warm inside the car even it’s 11* outside, if I’m on the motorway I have to use AC, (it’s not climate control)
Is it a problem to use the aircon?
My car was very warm at the weekend, despite the outside temperature only being 8C.
But it was sunny and the 'greenhouse effect' of the windows combined with engine heat was obviously coming into play.
I had no problem switching on the aircon to cool the interior down.
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Post by J+silva »

Hi I have the same exact problem my car has manual ac and if I put ac off and low temperature the air is always war/hot and it keeps the car always hot inside, I have to talk to the dealer and see what we can discover.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

J+silva wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:37 pm Hi I have the same exact problem my car has manual ac and if I put ac off and low temperature the air is always war/hot and it keeps the car always hot inside, I have to talk to the dealer and see what we can discover.
So you turn the AC to off and expect the air to cool if the sir temp dial is set to cold - that's fair enough if the ambient temp is cold. Assuming it's not as cold as the temp you want, you need AC to cool it. Is the ambient temp as cool as the temp you need in the cabin? If not, you need AC to cool the oncoming air.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
J+silva
Bronze Member

Post by J+silva »

Hi, let me tray to explain, the a/c its off, I turn speed fan on, the temperature regulator its in the lowest temperature, the air that should be getting in should be the temperature out side, but the temperature that enters its always harm/hot I measured it and its coming about 32ºc. It happens the same with fan off but driving the incoming air its always harm.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

I’m still slightly confused, as the whole point of a/c is to keep the car cool, so switching it off and expecting the colder air from outside to cool the car is never going to happen, especially as the inside of a car is like a greenhouse. If it did, then there would be no point in having a/c. Keep it on if you want a cool car. 😀

Having said that, If the a/c is on and is isn’t cooling, that’s a different matter that needs looking at by the dealer. There was a a/c control flap issue a few years ago that was eventually fixed, but maybe it’s back on the new Polo.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There seems to be a difference between my 2018 (pre-WLTP, no GPF) GTI+ and the wife's 2019 GTI+.in terms of ventilation. The 2019 one has the uncooled air coming in noticeably warmer (maybe 2 or 3C) - perhaps air ducting from under the bonnet has changed a little or the newer WLTP compliant version runs that little bit hotter, with some of that heat making it's way into the ventilation system? That would make the aircon work a little harder on the WLTP compliant 2019 model.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think/hope that the daytime air temperature in Lisbon right now will be too high to help you dump much heat out of the car's interior, so the chiller would need to be switched on always, I even used the chiller on my S4 yesterday due to passengers needing to open the windows, and that was with an outside temperature of 25C, I'd reckon in Lisbon 30>35C is a normal summer daytime temperature, or even higher.

Edit:- ah I am wrong, lower than 30C and cloudy today!
J+silva
Bronze Member

Post by J+silva »

What I intend to explain is that if the outside temperature is 20 the air that goes inside without the ac on should not be much higher and it is not what is shown in the pictures.
Attachments
outside temperature
outside temperature
inside air temperature
inside air temperature
IMG_20190825_102545_412.jpg