Rear reverse bulb

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
reyonalmighty
New
Drives: Polo SE 2018

Rear reverse bulb

Post by reyonalmighty »

Hope you all had a great Easter break!

Was just wondering if anyone has changed their reverse bulb to a brighter bulb (similar to the golfs bright reverse beam ). If you have done anyone able to recommend any canbus free bulbs or even give me a link to em’.

Cheers in advance :wink:
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Rear reverse bulb

Post by monkeyhanger »

reyonalmighty wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:21 pm Hope you all had a great Easter break!

Was just wondering if anyone has changed their reverse bulb to a brighter bulb (similar to the golfs bright reverse beam ). If you have done anyone able to recommend any canbus free bulbs or even give me a link to em’.

Cheers in advance :wink:
Is it that bright on the Golf? Can't say I noticed with my MK7 Golf R. There were people on the Golf forums who complain that the Golf reversing lights are dim.

I do think that plenty of people confuse the purpose of a reversing light. They are primarily meant to indicate to anyone in your reversing path that you are reversing, not to illuminate your reversing path.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 pm
I do think that plenty of people confuse the purpose of a reversing light. They are primarily meant to indicate to anyone in your reversing path that you are reversing, not to illuminate your reversing path.
Agree, lots of people don’t realise this. Even though the Polo is a small car, on models with tinted rear windows, it’s not the easiest of cars to see out of the rear window when reversing in the dark.

I have a reversing camera on my previous generation Polo GTI. I know it’s not really necessary on a small car, but it only cost £25 as part of a ‘bundled’ option pack, and I have a long standing back problem that sometimes makes it difficult to twist around and physically look out of the rear window when reversing. I find it the reversing camera does help significantly when reversing in the dark as the image from the camera on the infotainment screen at night surprisingly good.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that if the main purpose of a reversing light was to warn others about the fact that you intended to move backwards, then it would be a flashing light and maybe even backed up with a warning buzzer, probably not too bad an idea for the future.
Design or fashion changes/limitations seem to have meant that the reversing light intended originally as a driving aid when reversing in unlit areas has been reduced to being just a signal light - but only because it is not fit for use as a true reversing light.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Brightness of reversing lights has never bothered me, as I genuinely can't think of any where I'd be reversing that isn't lit.
Driveway is lit, parking spaces are lit.
Where do people reverse in such darkness that you need the path behind you lit (genuine question)?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 am Brightness of reversing lights has never bothered me, as I genuinely can't think of any where I'd be reversing that isn't lit.
Where do people reverse in such darkness that you need the path behind you lit (genuine question)?
Local authority street lighting is sparse to say the least in some parts of the UK. I have a Scottish friend who was shocked the first time he came to visit me and found there were no streetlights where I live. A good torch is essential if venturing out on foot after dark!

As well as living in an area with no streetlights, I have family who live in the middle of nowhere - also no streetlights. Being able to see objects such as fence posts, gates, parked cars, wheelie bins and other hazards in these unlit areas reduces the risk of me reversing into these hazards and damaging my car or other people’s property.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:04 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 am Brightness of reversing lights has never bothered me, as I genuinely can't think of any where I'd be reversing that isn't lit.
Local authority street lighting is sparse to say the least in some parts of the UK. I have a Scottish friend who was shocked the first time he came to visit me and found there were no streetlights where I live. A good torch is essential if venturing out on foot after dark!

As well as living in an area with no streetlights, I have family who live in the middle of nowhere - also no streetlights. Being able to see objects such as fence posts, gates, parked cars, wheelie bins and other hazards in these unlit areas reduces the risk of me reversing into these hazards and damaging my car or other people’s property.
+1. My local council garage is in a relatively safe area but at nite is in pitch darkness, so reversing lites (2 on a Golf), and mirror-mounted puddle lites, are pretty much a must. A few more watts of brightness certainly wouldn't hurt though. Mind the nites in Scotland seem darker but they do have more stars in the sky so swings and roundabouts :mrgreen: ...
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:03 pm Mind the nites in Scotland seem darker but they do have more stars in the sky so swings and roundabouts :mrgreen: ...
The nights should actually be lighter.
In summer, where I live, it never actually gets 'dark' at all.
Scottish councils haven't gone down the route of switching street lights off at night, but I dare say it might come.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:26 pm
stevereeves wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:03 pm Mind the nites in Scotland seem darker but they do have more stars in the sky so swings and roundabouts :mrgreen: ...
The nights should actually be lighter.
In summer, where I live, it never actually gets 'dark' at all.
Scottish councils haven't gone down the route of switching street lights off at night, but I dare say it might come.
I meant remote villages where less lite pollution is evident so seemingly more stars, but yeah it stays lighter for longer. Wish I was there now, maybe later in the year :) ....