Gti paddle shifters

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Gti paddle shifters

Post by peeceeuk »

Has anybody tried making much use of the manual mode in their gti and what are your opinions?

I actually find it quite fun but with the paddles being attached to the wheel, in some circumstances it leaves the paddles in the wrong place for operation.

It seems to me that they're really just for when you are off and running rather than any other situation.
Pulling off from a junction onto a road which require you to take a 90% corner is one example where it is awkward as you need to change up from 1st to 2nd quite early.
Can you come to a full stop in 2nd and then pull away again in 2nd to avoid using 1st?
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Re: Gti paddle shifters

Post by l3rady »

I believe that the gearbox in the GTi nanny's you a lot and will auto shift for you if it feels the revs are two high or low even in manual mode.

So with that, I would have thought it wouldn't be nessesary to paddle shift at low gears round a roundabout as it would take over in that situation.

Haven't got mine yet, maybe others can confirm?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

My only use of the paddle shifter is to change down change when overtaking so the revs are up when i need them.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

It isn't possible to set off in second, the threshold for the downshift from second to first at low speeds is higher on this box than on the old 7 speed. In this one kick down at somewhere like 15mph will sometimes trigger a downshift to first, which is obviously useless.

Personally I drive in full manual mode on longer journeys with frequent gear changes, I get better fuel economy than driving in automatic. If I'm driving for fun I usually stick it in manual too, I just don't find the automatic box responsive enough even in S when I'm wanting a bit of fun.
mackimudo
New
Drives: MK10 GTI+

Post by mackimudo »

OomStu_ZA wrote:My only use of the paddle shifter is to change down change when overtaking so the revs are up when i need them.
I’ve found if the gearbox is in sport that you don’t need to shift down as any delay only comes with the standard/eco setting. Even dropping it down to sport to overtake is feels faster than putting your foot down and waiting for the gearbox to drop for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I only use the shifters to change up when I've finished a bout of hard acceleration - like 40-70 in 3rd and then straight up to 6th.

If you are in 6th sat at 45 and then plant the accelerator, the amount of throttle you give is the deciding factor in what gear the car downshifts to, not the shifter being shifted down. If you knock it down to 3rd and plant the accelerator, the car may decide that it wants 2nd anyway
if you're not in full manual mode.

When in full manual mode, I use the stick for downshifts and paddle for up shifts. I rarely use manual mode though - DSG makes you lazy. I'd still prefer a manual box.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 pm I only use the shifters to change up when I've finished a bout of hard acceleration - like 40-70 in 3rd and then straight up to 6th.

If you are in 6th sat at 45 and then plant the accelerator, the amount of throttle you give is the deciding factor in what gear the car downshifts to, not the shifter being shifted down. If you knock it down to 3rd and plant the accelerator, the car may decide that it wants 2nd anyway
if you're not in full manual mode.

When in full manual mode, I use the stick for downshifts and paddle for up shifts. I rarely use manual mode though - DSG makes you lazy. I'd still prefer a manual box.
Good shout that. Completely forgot about triptronic shif on the lever.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I'd much prefer a manual. Dislike the DSG, but it's the wife's car and she likes it...