Google maps useful tip

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Google maps useful tip

Post by david.stark »

There will be many members who already know this I’m sure but for those who don’t, a useful thing I discovered today is the ability to download maps to your phone so that if you are in an area with no signal, you can still use the maps and navigation.

We are heading to the Lakes this weekend and my Polo doesn’t have built in Sat Nav but does have Apple Car Play so I can use Google maps and now I don’t have to worry about losing signal.

You learn something new every day
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Google maps useful tip

Post by vc-10 »

I just wish you could download a country whole, rather than splitting it up into areas! HERE Maps does that but it's not as good as Google for everything else.

Also, at least in Android Auto, you can turn on a setting that downloads the satellite view too. It looks amazing.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

I guess it’s just the file size that’s the issue. I zoomed out on the map until I’d got where I am going and my home within the square comfortably. Then I pressed download and job done.

Obviously whenever the signal does go, you can’t get live traffic alerts but signal is only going to be an issue out in the sticks so I’m not worried.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

maps.me not okay?